Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tombstone Machining

CountBraden

Still doesn't seem flexible enough. Why would you want to repost every freaking time. Just post one program for one part and have macros!?!

IMO you don't. I make a program one time and never repost it unless I need to edit the cutting data or create/remove tool paths. I avoid running partial tombstones as there as the benefit does not out weigh the faults for my situation. My production multi parts programs are usually sub 30min per part, the longest is 1hr/part and the shortest is 5min/part (not per tombstone), so by removing 1-2 parts for a partial tombstone there isn't much in the way of time savings, and when you factor in having operators d1ck around adjusting fixturing to run partial tombstones, change macro parameters etc the benefit ceases to exist.

• Like 2

IMO you don't. I make a program one time and never repost it unless I need to edit the cutting data or create/remove tool paths. I avoid running partial tombstones as there as the benefit does not out weigh the faults for my situation. My production multi parts programs are usually sub 30min per part, the longest is 1hr/part and the shortest is 5min/part (not per tombstone), so by removing 1-2 parts for a partial tombstone there isn't much in the way of time savings, and when you factor in having operators d1ck around adjusting fixturing to run partial tombstones, change macro parameters etc the benefit ceases to exist.

well i could see that but sometimes we want to run one part to make adjustments and other situations... i only post one part never have to renumber tool or touch offsets so i like this system

well i could see that but sometimes we want to run one part to make adjustments and other situations... i only post one part never have to renumber tool or touch offsets so i like this system

I do all of that in MC. I never repost. I never set offsets, I never re number tools. When creating a program I often post one part first, prove out all the cutting parameters, then I create all my translate and transform ops. Then I post those. So I do have two programs, but I don't find that to be a problem. I could just as easily just run one part from my big multi part program, but I'd rather not have to keep skipping sections of code while running the program so I'd rather just call up a different program for that.

I do like macros, I do use them. But I don't use them for things like multiple parts, fixture tracking etc for the reason that it's hard to tell what happened if there is ever a problem. With everything inside the program it's easier to toruble shoot than trying to get operators to be honest about how/why/if they fat fingered something.

I mostly use them for inspection, offset calculations (part and tool), or automation.

• Like 1