Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

M-code placement in the post

Rick46

I am wondering if there is a general rule of thumb where m-codes should and shouldn't be placed in a post. My example is as follows. Our night shift guy doesn't ever want to run the chip conveyor on the machine for fear he will have to work harder and have to empty the chip barrel and thus the chips pile up and pack in the augers. Well the other night at 2am in the morning he's calling the maintenance guy that works days saying the machine keeps kicking the breaker and wont run. well he finally decided the 8 inches of chips piled up in the floor of the machine needed to be emptied out and turned on the chip conveyor. well since the augers were packed with large chips it was binding one of them up and kicking the breaker. So now to the point.

I added two m-codes to turn the augers and the floor wash on at the start of every program to my post. The placement of said m-codes is before the safe start header that is posted in the beginning of every standard post. I was wondering is this a no no or is this alright to do ? It has been working so far with no problems but just wanted to know out of curiosity if there is a rule of thumb on where to place forced m-codes in the tool path. here is an example of the beginning of my paths now.

%

O0000

M50 <------ code in question

M63 <------ code in question

G20

G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

T2 M6

G0 G90 G54 X-.5 Y.5 S2500 M3

G43 H2 Z.25

Z.2

p.s. this path doesn't display it but there is a look ahead enable code ( G5.1 Q1 ) a few lines down. not sure exactly of its placement for I just typed this up off the top of my head to show said m-codes..

thanks in advance..

My rule of thumb is what works and gets the job done. Night shift guy would be getting written up if I were his boss, but that is just me. Can do a mi or mr if you want to make a switch, but if you want it where you got it and it works then case closed and tell him to put his big boy pants on and grow up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

well its up and running every time he starts his paths so I'm going to leave it since it works. only way to shut if off now is to physically turn it off on the control so now if it does happen again he will be getting an xxxx ripping from the supervisor.. I'm with you to Ron definitely write up over what happened and many other things that this kid has done before but I'm not the boss so I have to be creative when I want him doing something that I shouldn't have to repeatedly tell him to do. I never shut them off during the day when I'm running the machine but I also am not afraid of work when it comes to emptying the chip barrel when Its full. just my opinion but I'm working with a lot of younger generation now a days where I work and not all of them but a large portion of them don't want to work or don't know what really working means. I have a kid of my own and I constantly am on him to do things right the first time and not to half xxxx do it so he doesn't have to do it all over again. I don't know what it is with some of these kids. rant over..lol. thanks guys for the info..

• Like 1