Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pro-E/Creo translator "error"

mikenaturalice

Hello again all! I posted before about using the Pro-E translator and problems with a solid. That was resolved (more or less) and thanks to all who responded. This is a different problem, and very strange. I occasionally get an error message saying "the file is not recognized, blah blah..." When I say 'occasionally' I guess I mean randomly.

I have spoken to my reseller and he doesn't have an answer for me. A couple weeks back when this started my reseller got into my pc with something like an FTP where he could 'see' my computer (not sure what this is called), but when I opened MCX the pro-e file opened fine! So MCX opens the pro-e files for a week or so without issue. I get an email last Thursday(?) asking if the problem was fixed, I open a pro-e file and confirm that yes it appears to be working. Yesterday I tried opening and BAM same error message as before. Now today I get a call from reseller and it opens no problems?!? Has anyone seen this or something similar? His suggestion this morning was to try and restart my pc and/or MCX, which I will try next time. It seems like if the license wasn't reading correctly I would get a prompt for a code, but not sure if this has changed recently? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

p.s. I have not done any changes to my pc in the time this has all happened, no new software or drivers or anything... wait! except I downloaded the beta for X8, maybe a conflict??...

I have a couple questions:

• Can you post the exact wording of the error message and perhaps email a file that makes it happen?
  • When it happens, does it happen on any file you try?
  • Are you seeing it in both X7 and the X8 Beta? I don't think anything in X8 would cause a conflict with the X7 ProE reader.

The ProE reader does rarely cause a hiccup related to their file format...they use the .PRT and .ASM extensions, but then put version numbers after them to complicate things. Also, our Unigraphics file importer is looking for the .PRT extension, too, since that's what UG NX native files are saved as.

Pic enclosed with the error message.

It does happen on any file, I know what you're talking about with the version numbers, this doesn't have any effect I have seen. I have only tried to open the .prt extension, not the assemblies.

I have not tried opening any of them in X8 beta.

note: This is the exact file I tried opening yesterday that wouldn't, and today it did.

post-51233-0-77655500-1403024742_thumb.png

Is that a mapped drive you are going to? My 1st guess is permission issues or problems on your network. If the file are copied directly to your computer and open directly on your computer do you see the same random amount of problem or less? I have seen all type of errors with power saving options enable where the Ethernet port is allowed to save power and the the USB plus is allowed to save power and then this that and the other happen from power saving crap and people see random errors. They turn all that crap off and tell the computer to be a computer (not a save the planet tree hugging device which BTW it is not it is a computer meant to do work using Electricity dohhhhhhhhhh) life is good again. IT people need something to make their sometimes pointless job mean something so if they can make if 10 times harder to use the computer by enabling all that stuff then you think you need them 10 times more than you really do. :rolleys:

I was thinking more along the lines of the extensions.... and that the way the file is selected might matter.

Because of those numbered extensions, we had to do some work to show and select, for instance, all the .PRT.1 (or .PRT.2, etc) files when the "Files of Type" drop down is set to "ProE files". But if that dropdown is set to "All files" it would work a little differently. And if you type in the file name it might work even more differently.

That sort of thing might also account for the randomness of it.

The error message tells me that it is, most likely, extension-related, but I don't yet have a handle on why its acting so strangely for you.

Can you verify for me what version off MC you're running?

I understand now, would it matter? I can't say for sure on the files I had problems with, but I think I had it set to Pro-E files. Do you think it might behave differently if it is set to All Files? I normally only use this to sort files if I am in a cluttered folder or whatnot, instead of seeing every file that is in the folder... I will try playing with this next time it comes up. Thanks for all the help! :cheers: