Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Xeon processor

Jody

From what I have seen and researched my next will be a dual Xeon worth about $14,000 dollars with 4 hard drives and a riad 5 controller to boot. Of course I am crazy like that. I spent more on my computer at home than my company has on any computer hey have in here.

Crazy Millman Feels you need the rigth tool to do the job if not usign the right tool then why do the job to being with.

[ 10-20-2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Dual Xeon's are very helpfull however I am not sure current mastercam versions support multi-threading.

Your best bet is to find a mother board with lots of sockets for ram. SCSI not IDE is a better way to go on any 3D app. As for the graphics a little more speed and ram can never hurt.

I have gone from 1- 1gig processor to 2 - 1gig processor (PEnt III) and have notice only a slight increase in performace in Mastercam.

Anybody have and system recommendations.

If you search the forum there is some posts related to this - basically MasterCAM is DOS app in a windows world - so it ignores any SSE or hyperthreaded extensions. Any processor with a strong FPU will do a good job (AMD - hint) - I'm sure all of this will change when X comes out though - full-blown windows app and all.

Dare to compare the specs:

5600 & 5900

As far as Mastercam is concerned, there isn't that great of a difference between the two. Mastercam doesn't have to worry much about bump mapping, dynamic shaders, etc. If it were my money, and you won't be running things like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004, I'd get the 256MB version of the 5600.

That is what I was looking for

quote:

If it were my money

and

quote:

I really like the 256 MB version of the FX5600

I understand that. I went to the links bullines post and understand those pages about as well as I understand ?women? confused.gif

thanks

Jody

quote:

I understand that. I went to the links bullines post and understand those pages about as well as I understand ?women?

Ok, then wink.gif To put it another way. If you chose the 256MB version of the GeForce FX 5900 instead of the 256MB version of the GeForce FX 5600, you may be able to run Unreal Tournament 2003 at 1600x1200 with all the details cranked and get decent frame rates. You'd probably have to settle for 1280x1024 with all the details cranked with the GeForce FX 5600 to get equivalent frame rates.

If you chose the 128MB version of the 5900 instead of the 256MB version of the 5600, the results would be the same as above. The only difference would be that the 128MB 5900 would require Unreal Tournament 2003 to use the cache more often since it has less memory to store all the textures and such.

What does this have to do with Mastercam? Nothing at all. Mastercam doesn't have to worry about things like real-time lighting/shadowing and fancy-shmancy visual effects. Therefore, the stronger/bigger-bandwidth on the 5900's GPU is irrelevant in terms of Mastercam, which why I say the 5600 would be just as good (and less expensive). Personally, I'd want the 256MB version.

Better? wink.gif