Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need quick change Tool holders

Sandybar

I'm researching a different aproach to tool holder management for a vertical machining centers. We are a prototyping shop with anywhere from one part to 10 parts.

I hoping to find a way to minimize buying a CAT-40 tool holder for every tap and drill combination we use. What I'm looking for is a CAT-40 tool holder with detachable ER collets that mount into the CAT-40 toolholder. I would like to put every drill and tap combination into the ER Collets and then swap out into the CAT-40 toolholders when needed. So Ideally I would have 2 CAT-40 toolholders and 20 drill and tap combinations.

Sandvik makes a Capto ER Collet simialar to what I'm looking for. Just want to know if there is anything else on the market?

Thanks in advance

Guest MTB Technical Services

I did the setup and tweaked the program for one of their Modern Art of Milling seminars down here.

Can't say enough about CAPTOfor a VMC or HMC

Don't mess around.

Get the CAPTO.

You'll be glad you did.

Hey, wait. I just jumped at what you said and went with it. I think for prototyping, collets are not the way to go here. I worked in a prototype shop for almost 4 years early in my career. For drilling and tapping you want some Albrecht drill chucks with an integral CAT 40 shank. These are awesome because they hold about .001 TIR throughout their whole range. I think they even make the jaws with diamond tips now, so you can hold carbide drills with no issue. I know they also make a "Hi-Precision" model that uses a hex wrench to actuate the jaws, and these are the best for what you would be doing. They are fairly expensive, but they are so versatile. If you got 10 of them you could have five different drill and tap combinations available, and the ability to easily switch out any of them without having to disassemble the collet holder.

Check out these drill chucks at MSC. They aren't cheap, but that is because they are very high quality.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00250647

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the replies, Looks like it may be cheaper to just buy a ER collet for every drill and tap combination we have. I like your drill chuck idea Colin, and we do use them since they are quick and easy, but will not get repeatbility with this system.