Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So there is no way to flip stock without duplicating geometry?

SlaveCam

Hello experts.

We've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to flip the stock in MC lathe without using the "flip stock" operation, using only wcs, tplanes etc. To no avail. Why not use the stock flip feature? Because copying the original geometry is a horrible idea and causes extra work and room for errors if I need to modify the part later.

So, how do I flip the part using only the original geometry?

Thanks!!!

Hello experts.

We've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to flip the stock in MC lathe without using the "flip stock" operation, using only wcs, tplanes etc. To no avail. Why not use the stock flip feature? Because copying the original geometry is a horrible idea and causes extra work and room for errors if I need to modify the part later.

So, how do I flip the part using only the original geometry?

Thanks!!!

Under planes, Lathe Dia,  you have 4 options. I never tried them before but just did after reading your post. I picked the +D -Z and used a tool facing the other direction and it seemed to work and post just fine to me. Give that a try and see what you think?

• Like 1

Welcome to the many things of lathe that just don't work the way they should. I've found that you cannot go into Lathe expecting it to operate the same as Mill--you have to think of it as it's own program. Unfortunately duplicating geometry is a necessity in Lathe, and something that (still) infuriates me for the same reason you said.

That being said, it is possible to "fake it" by creating a different axis combination to represent a flipped part. So instead of the tool coming from the upper right, it would come from the lower left on screen. You can create a new WCS origin at the other end of the part, just keep in with the same orientation as the "Top" WCS.

This is how I do it with our sub-spindle machines. A major caveat is that you cannot define a chuck or you'll get no end of warnings. I never define one anyways as I think the idea of having to move geometry twenty inches on the screen is -blam!-ing ridiculous. Also, you'll have to make sure your post interprets the axis combination correctly so you don't get inverted directions.

• Like 2