Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

peek plastic

Anyone cutting this stuff? Any tips or tool mfg suggestions?

We run this material all the time.

Just use good sharp carbide tools (2 or 3 flute)

The main issue with PEEK (other than it's REALLY expensive) is it's prone to chipping.

Drive toolpaths accordingly, especially leading off the cut.

Coated Aluminum style cutting tools.  Treat the tool paths like you would cutting carbon fiber - lead into the cut - leadout is even more important. Never a heavy cut when coming off the part. When drilling thru make sure there is 100% support under the drill - as in a virgin alum block under each part when drilling thru holes. PEEK chips out & pops. Its abrasive too. Have used diamond grit grinding mills with excellent sucess BUT you must use a serious vacuum.

I use this place for deburring on parts where its a very deep cavity with small corner radius. They are very affordable, quick turn around. Not worth doing it in house.

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/services/deburring/cryogenic-deburring/

We literally just got back some pieces we went to that place for deburring Ultem 30% glass-filled. The parts look great. +1 on using them. 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any tips for deburring this stuff besides the cryogenic treatments? I have one hundred 5/16 dia. shafts 12" long with a boss machined on both ends and a slot milled down the length. I've done a few sample parts that I chamfered by hand with a HSS scraper and the customer still complained about "sharpness" on the edges. They updated their print to put a .005 radius on all edges but the extruded parts are out of round .010-.025 so using a chamfer tool to machine the edge is out of the question.

I need to ship these next week and was wondering if there are any type of abrasive wheels or brushes that might work on this material to create a softer blend on the corners.