Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough problem - Potential catastrophe.

neurosis

This is a strange issue that I haven't seen before.  This part file is updated from X6 - X8. The X6 tool path was fine. I pulled this in to X8 and got a big surprise.  I also ran this through X7 just so check it out and it had the same issue.

The issue starts at about 45 seconds in to the video on about the 5th depth of cut. 

First the tool pogo's in one of the corner and re-cuts the same spot several times. Then after continuing to the right side of the part, decides to stop with that depth of cut and go directly to the next causing a 2X deeper cut than programmed for.

The settings are

60% step over - 1.2

10.1% depth    - .202  (I divided up the over all depth in to equal steps so there wasnt a tiny pass left for the last pass)

15% min tool rad -.3

.02 left on all surfaces in x and z

NO step up

It not unusual for MC to skip the odd z LVL path.

I get this mostly in waterline rest paths

When i catch it at the p.c., I change the step down by .001" and regen

then keep doing that until the path does it right, if it doesn't

I go to a legacy path that should do the about the same thing

Go to the new forum and place your issue in this thread

CNC chimed in and wants as many X8 issues reported here

http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic2846.aspx

I found it strange that the path generates just fine in X6 but is then broken in both X7 and X8.

I had to dig up the original X6 file from one of our backup drives to do what I needed.  I am using the same settings (what is available) in X6 and the tool path generated flawlessly.  No pogo, no re-cutting the same area 5 times and no missing a depth of cut. 

I'm not really sure how to address this since I can't send this file to the QC dept. This (and a couple of other problems i've found in the opti paths) really need to be addressed. If missed in verify (who really has time to watch every single pass of every single tool) this could do some damage. The insert on this particular tool isn't even .4.

"If missed in verify (who really has time to watch every single pass of every single tool)"

Nobody does. But when you break a cutter because of a faulty path....

Just at minimum, explain it to them and Maybe they will look at it or

confirm they have enuf concerns to do something about it.

This X8 release has alot of X7 and prior, carry overs....LOL

At least you get to use X8 ;)

The carry overs I can handle. You are familiar with the issues and have more than likely found work arounds. It's the regressions that frustrate mnot as familiar

Not really, i am helping you, help them and that helps us all. ;)

I just test the same old issues when they let loose a major release.

If the same old cumbersome problems are there, then I can only

assume and watch threads and test other issues that will directly

affect me, before the first MU release comes out.

Then hope they addressed the toolpath issues and pray they fix

old work arrounds, bugs, known inefficiencies...etc.  (Same game, different release.)

Its actually a written ISO protocol at my work, for only this software.

• Like 1

Yes broken some endmills with that one. Like you are doing Verify each line of code and backplot each section and see if it does not take off. If it does change your numbers a little bit up or down and it will go away. X8 is better about it, but still will happen. I have used NCSimul and it's volumetric verification to catch these types of errors. Still working it all out, but looks like that will be my sanity check for these types of tools paths moving forward.

Get it done and so your best to catch them about all we can do. Cool thing I learned was a Hydraulic Chuck will break an endmill off before allowing it to pull out of the holder when this happens. :ouch: Glad it did not tear up the chuck.