Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 -Define Radius Mill Issue

Machineguy

CNC needs to remove the "tip/Corner treatment" coupling between the Radius and Tip Diameter properties. I can't define the tip dimensions correctly when using a Corner Round tool from Harvey Tools.

A .062 Radius cutter is defined as a .062 radius w/ a .047 diameter tip. The tool manager says its a .063 tip. If I change it  to a .047 tip the radius changes to a .07025 rad.

In order to use this I have to use a .063 rad w/ a .0635 tip and use a -.015 in Stock to leave on the walls in the Cut Parameters page.

What's up with that?

Harvey Tool 09/2013

Pg. 179.

Harvey Tool 09/2014

Pg. 195

I hate to see how you dimension a Steel one from MSC. They vary a lot, and are to big to use.

Machineguy

CNC needs to remove the "tip/Corner treatment" coupling between the Radius and Tip Diameter properties. I can't define the tip dimensions correctly when using a Corner Round tool from Harvey Tools.

A .062 Radius cutter is defined as a .062 radius w/ a .047 diameter tip. The tool manager says its a .063 tip. If I change it  to a .047 tip the radius changes to a .07025 rad.

In order to use this I have to use a .063 rad w/ a .0635 tip and use a -.015 in Stock to leave on the walls in the Cut Parameters page.

What's up with that?

Harvey Tool 09/2013

Pg. 179.

Harvey Tool 09/2014

Pg. 195

I hate to see how you dimension a Steel one from MSC. They vary a lot, and are to big to use.

Machineguy

What diameter does the cutter end up at? or supposed to be?

The Harvey tool has a bit of a flat at the outside beyond the radius, the tip is .047 the radius is .062 and there is a .0077 flat extending out past the radius at the outside, I think actually it angles up a bit and isn't actually flat. Anyhow the tool is in fact made like that.

I personally think the tip diameter and the radius shouldn't be locked, however given that it is the easiest bet would probably be to make this a custom tool and draw it out rather than defining it as a radius mill.

I stand corrected that acts totally weird and if memory severs me correct you could define it without it acting like it currently is. It looks like I will be defining these types of tools as custom tool moving forward. Sorry I stopped and went and checked it and it is not acting correctly. I would shoot off an email to QC and make them aware of it. Hum seems as though that was the same behavior in X7. I have not used those types of tools in some time so might be why I had noticed it till you pointed it out.

Is there a way to unlink the Radius from the tip diameter?

If there is not, we need this, I am finding it a real pain that I have to keep creating custom tools because with these fields linked, I cannot create a tool with the correct definition out of a catalog. I have been doing a fair bit of work with Rad cutters and find myself making most of them as custom tools

Answer from CNC on the other forum

Hi Guys,

I logged this one as D-15713 and gave it a high priority. 

We use these Harvey's all the time. The flat out past the radius is actually a 2 deg angle up away to prevent the sharp from gouging at full radius contact. We do customs for these, mainly cause we set TLO and CRC dia to center of the radius. Much easier to set offline in a presetter if the pilot length to the radius varies. Always gives a good blend that way

I found work around for that problem for now. I put my outer diameter = (2x corner rad) + tip diameter. put shank diameter to actual tool diameter. keep shoulder length  +.001 greater than cutting length.

but then again most rad mill tools have rad center sits below tip +.005. and there is no way to do that unless you build custom tool or cheat.

I found another issue with this new tool building manager. Reamer!!!

Shank diameter and chamfer distance do not stick when you build a reamer. No matter what you put in there. you always come back to find a different value.