Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Live tooling question

Hertz

Hi guys, I have a live tool lathe. I am making a 5/8" square part from a 1" Round bar with a hole through the middle and tapped holes on the sides. Before I part off, I am going in with the part off tool to .600 diameter then coming in with a chamfer tool to chamfer the square before it parts it off completely. What I want to know is what tool path would I use to accomplish this? I do the front of the part with a c-axis face contour but not sure what to use on the back side as clearly it has to be cut from X and not Z. I do not have a Y axis.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Hi guys, I have a live tool lathe. I am making a 5/8" square part from a 1" Round bar with a hole through the middle and tapped holes on the sides. Before I part off, I am going in with the part off tool to .600 diameter then coming in with a chamfer tool to chamfer the square before it parts it off completely. What I want to know is what tool path would I use to accomplish this? I do the front of the part with a c-axis face contour but not sure what to use on the back side as clearly it has to be cut from X and not Z. I do not have a Y axis.

You can use a dovetail cutter with a C-Axis Face Contour path for the backside chamfer.

This way you're still using a G12.1 Polar on the machine.

Any other method will have to interpolate XC to approximate each segment of the square you'll end up with a lot of code that can't be comped easily at the machine.

I cannot upload  file unfortunately.  Picture a square part milled on the c axis from a 1" bar. I need to chamfer both sides of the square. I accomplish the fist side easily with c-axis face contour, same as how I achieve the square. I need to chamfer the other side as well. I tried c-axis - c-axis contour, and it looks ok except for its not following the entities straight, kind of curving as it gets to the corners. I had a pop up saying rotary dia could not be 0. I am not sure what this setting does but it seems it just needs a number cause I put .875 in  and it accepted that.

(edit) just saw your post after I submitted my response MTB. I thought of that already but I do not have any dovetail cutters at the moment so I am to use a 1/4" 45 deg chmf mill.

So you're chamfering on the C-axis, perpendicular to the face of the square? In that case, you'll never get a straight chamfer as it's physically impossible. As the part rotates, the cut changes from sidecutting (like normal) to a sort of plunge-cut.

What I would do is use a ball-nose endmill--not a 45 cutter--and walk it around using several stepovers to follow the chamfer. It will take longer but you can get a straight, clean chamfer that way.

• Like 2