Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bidirectional contour toolpaths??

Phil Orenstein

I need to create a bidirectional contour toolpath with multiple depth cuts. In other words one way contouring is: plunging down, feeding across the chained geometry in one direction then retracting up to clearance and then rapid to start point and repeating until it reaches the final depth. Bidirectional is: plunging down feeding one direction along geometry and then plunging down at plunge rate to the next depth specified in depth cuts and feeding back in the other direction and "zig-zagging" until it reached the final depth. Can this be done in MC? Can it be done with 3D contours? I tried it with 'keep tool down' but it didn't work.

Thanx confused.gif

Phil

Wel yes and it veyr easy but you got ot be tricky to do it is all. Let say you want ot take a .5 endmill and do this for a 6" long slot. You need to make a wiframe that is .501 wide and give it square corners it doesn't matter. You then need to pick pocket toolpath. you then use the ramp put 0 in the vaules for the helix and go from there. I set my angles for what I want and my percetnages it does pretty slick stuff that way.I use it all the time for roughing things with a inserted tool in tight places.

Crazy Millman

Just to see what I do I put up the File Zig Zag take a look.

Phil,

Create a contour, use contour type; RAMP, in the operation dialog on the first tab, lower left side of the window. In ramp settings button, select Plunge, then set your ramp depth to the Z step size you want, (the stepdown).

HTH

'Rekd

[ 10-28-2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

By trial & error I found it! Create a vertical ruled surface following the contour with a check surface on the bottom and drive a surface finish toolpath bounded on one side of the surface with "stock to leave" set to .001 smaller than the radius. It works! But I wish I could do this more simply with 2D contours. Will this feature for rib cutting be in Version X? Anyone know??

Phil

Try this

Draw a line , say 2.0 in long

In toolpath pick countour,chain, partial

pick one end, click wait, pick opposite end, done

pick a tool for the slot size

set the depth

pick ramp, depth amount

offset - almost half the dia in xy (minus amount)

do a 3d view and watch the path

now play with the settings

Finecut

Phil !

I can easily do it !

Have a look on my lazy14 trick I am sending now

here

This is a planar toolpath but you can easily produce the true 3d toolpath .

! offset target geometry to needed amount

2 break contour in the middle

3 translate it to the step Xform->translate->copy

4.build entry -exit lines

5 contour 3d toolpath without compensation and lead in lead out

HF!

HTH!

ITHH!

[ 10-29-2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: plasttav ]