Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 Boolean Problem

Jeff2005

I am currently using X7, but would like to change to X8, however I have found a problem with a specific tool that has been common for many previous versions, but I have found that in X8 it doesn't work, OR it could be the way items are selected have changed, but haven't found the solution. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

I am using the Boolean tool to create solids. I specifily use the boolean remove to create solid models, I have found out this is not working correctly. Normally I bring in a surface sheet, which must be larger than my solid body, then I create solid sheet using (solid from surfaces) after doing this successfully I am using Boolean remove, selecting the body first then the sheet, then applying, it is given me an error, (boolean remove operation would result in a disjoint body), normally I only get this when my solid sheet isn't larger than the body, which I always make the sheet at least 5mm bigger.

Please help & thanks for any help in advance.

Jeff

Jeff, here is how I play darts. I put the dart board up and I stand back from the dart board. I look at the dart board and I throw my dart. You have given me a good dart board to throw a dart at, but not the dart to do so with. A sample file or something would really be helpful for someone like myself to see exactly what you are seeing so I can try to play darts along with you. Without the file you are playing darts and I am just watching.

I like Titus 3:1-8 to keep my feet planted.

Okay I went in and did the following steps and had no problem. I extracted your file. I then went Solids Trim to Surface. I then picked the Solid Block as my solid to trim. I then picked the surface and got a trimmed solid. I again throwing a dart out here can only assume you wanted one or the other and not both the upper and lower, but if you did them you can use the split solid option in the operation of the Trim to Surface/Sheet solid function to keep both like I did in this file.

Hope that helps.

Edited by 5th Axis Consulting

Yes thanks that helps. I am assumming the way I was doing this, using the boolean operation, does not work in X8?

This was just an example. Thanks again!

Well I would never attempt it that way I would attempt it the way I showed you. I have done Boolean operations like in previous version with no issues, but what you put up as an example file would be approached from my thinking the way I approached it and not with Boolean remove. I think of Boolean Remove as a tool to cut something away from something else and not a tool to split solid why I used the tool I was using.  If you went to a side view and made a closed shape that was bigger than the upper or lower section then Boolean remove would also work. If you have a Mold and want to take away a cavity from it then yes Boolean remove is the tool for that. Each process in Solids has a best use process and I went with what I have learned over the years is a best use process for the process that needed to be done. If you have something else where you feel it is not working correctly be glad to take a look, but in this case I say you had something that may have worked, but maybe it should have.