Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Barcode Info From Tool Parameters

Tinyfxds

I would think a barcode font would be easy enough to get.. you could probably get it to print out once you had that..

The following post might point you in the right direction to capture the data for a .SET file..  http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/71427-pulling-manufaturers-data-from-tool/?hl=%26quot%3Btool+code%26quot%3B#entry868809

Other than that all I can think of is a C-Hook, not sure if the X+ setup sheets would capture that data without looking..

• Like 1

So the .SET file is outputting the code that I have entered into that field but how do I get it to output an actual barcode?  Would I have to add commands to the .SET file?  I will admit that I know nothing about editing posts so if that is the direction I'm headed I will need to get some help.

I haven't played with the .SET files myself, but I believe if you use the active reports thing you should be able to specify the font you want it to use, so in your case for the manufacturer code you would want to specify whatever bar code font you are using.  Here is a link to the tutorials page on the Mastercam website.  They have a tutorial there you can download that explains the active reports part of the .set setup sheets.

(realized I forgot the link. . here it is)

http://www.mastercam.com/en-us/Support/Tutorials/Mastercam

• Like 1

I would look to do that with Active Reports of X+. Either one is going to have the query that field then apply the needed bar code to the output and replace the incoming data and replace it was the bar code. Zoober is a great Excel guru and scripting guy he might be able to shed some insight on how he would go about it.

• Like 1

If you figure out how to output, make sure you're using the right type of barcode font. There are two major types of barcode: code 39, and code 128. Code 39 is what's used on product UPC codes; by the amount of numbers you have in your picture it's easy to tell you'll need code 128.

If anyone is interested, I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that can convert any text you want into Code 39 or 128. 128 is tricky because you have to have a check number in order to make it work; the spreadsheet will figure it out for you.

• Like 1

If you figure out how to output, make sure you're using the right type of barcode font. There are two major types of barcode: code 39, and code 128. Code 39 is what's used on product UPC codes; by the amount of numbers you have in your picture it's easy to tell you'll need code 128.

If anyone is interested, I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that can convert any text you want into Code 39 or 128. 128 is tricky because you have to have a check number in order to make it work; the spreadsheet will figure it out for you.

I know to get a useabe code 39 barcade you have to add an asterisk to the beginning & end of your text but I have not been able to figure the code 128 out. I would appreciate the excel file.

chuck (at) porterpunch (dot) com

Thanks

I wish I could be more help with the active reports, like I said I haven't messed with it.. I just tried a bit.. and its clear I am not going to be any help in the immediate future.

I think I could probably make a Nethook to do this faster than I could get the active reports to work, if I get a chance to mess with it I may do something like that that just spits out a tool list with the barcode, I already found sample code to do the proper 128 type barcode implementation, and I have written code already to walk through the operations in a Mastercam file, so it shouldn't be absurdly difficult.. although whenever I do computer programming it seems something comes up I wasn't anticipating so no promises lol

• Like 1

I wish I could be more help with the active reports, like I said I haven't messed with it.. I just tried a bit.. and its clear I am not going to be any help in the immediate future.

I think I could probably make a Nethook to do this faster than I could get the active reports to work, if I get a chance to mess with it I may do something like that that just spits out a tool list with the barcode, I already found sample code to do the proper 128 type barcode implementation, and I have written code already to walk through the operations in a Mastercam file, so it shouldn't be absurdly difficult.. although whenever I do computer programming it seems something comes up I wasn't anticipating so no promises lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I wonder if my local reseller would be able to help me out on this?  I'll have to send them an email and see.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Tiny,

So I created a NetHook that will create a tool list based on whatever ops you have selected, I have attached it as a .zip file, you should be able to extract it to a temporary location and then install it following the directions in the ReadMe.txt file that is included in it. 

FYI - This is only meant to run for X8, so it is targeted for 64Bit computers only.

Anyhow .. hope this helps, and if anyone else wants to give it a try, feel free.. I would love to hear some feedback..

BTW - this is the first NetHook I have given out for anyone to use other than me, so hopefully there will be no problems with dependencies etc.. if there is any problem with it not working or bugs .. let me know and I will do my best to address them.

-- Derek

BarcodeToolList.zip

• Like 3

Tiny,

So I created a NetHook that will create a tool list based on whatever ops you have selected, I have attached it as a .zip file, you should be able to extract it to a temporary location and then install it following the directions in the ReadMe.txt file that is included in it. 

FYI - This is only meant to run for X8, so it is targeted for 64Bit computers only.

Anyhow .. hope this helps, and if anyone else wants to give it a try, feel free.. I would love to hear some feedback..

BTW - this is the first NetHook I have given out for anyone to use other than me, so hopefully there will be no problems with dependencies etc.. if there is any problem with it not working or bugs .. let me know and I will do my best to address them.

-- Derek

Derek very cool you did that. I am going to mess around with it. I will PM you with anything I come up with. Again thanks for doing that.

Ok, well I made a new copy of the zip file, I will download it and test to verify it works, all I can think is something got corrupted in the upload/download process..

Updated.. just tested this after downloading it and its doing the same thing.. not sure what is causing it.. I will look into it and post back if I can figure out a solution

BarcodeToolList.zip

OK ... I believe I figured out what the problem was, if you browse to the BarcodeToolList.dll and right click on it, you will see it says at the bottom "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"  and there is an Unblock button.

Once you click unblock and reload Mastercam it should work..  and either download should function correctly.. I believe this was all that was keeping it from running

There is a settings menu in the nethook that lets you choose the barcode font, you need to choose the font you installed in windows from that settings menu so the nethook knows which font / font size to use when displaying the tool list.  In the help file its explained in step 6. 

• Like 1

Great, I am curious to know if the barcode format GS1-128 is in fact the one you needed, I know originally in this thread someone said it that's what it should be, and it does make sense, but I was wondering if you had actually tried the barcodes with whatever reader application you generally use.

I know they work correctly when read with a GS1-128 reader, I tested that using a barcode reader app I was able to get for my phone, just wondering if your barcode reader is in fact looking for a GS1-128 barcode, also .. was wondering what you thought of the format, I didn't go to crazy with extra details since I figured it was more of a pick list for people to grab tools from a machine than something to be used with a setup sheet.