Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

First Time Using Indexer

Tinyfxds

We have a job that we are quoting that would require me to machine the part on an indexer in 90 degree increments.  This shouldn't be a problem but I've never used Mastercam to program a part using the indexer.  How involved is this and what are some things I should look out for?  This would run on a Hurco VMX42 (3 axis post)  Not sure if that makes a difference.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

Is the indexer controlled by the control, or an MFIN code?

We do tons of 3+1 and 3+2 using rotary indexers. I ended up modifying my post so when there is a tool plane change, the post outputs the index value in parentheses (to inform the operator about the move) and an MFIN code. 

We don't have any directly controlled indexers (via a, b, c code). We have a few that can be controlled by RS232, and I modded the post to output the macro that is needed to make that work. 

Aside from the output code, programming inside of Mastercam is no different that any other work involving multiple tool planes.

Thanks guys.  I guess we are only making 2 parts so we will manually rotate the indexer.  The indexer is a SMW ACCU Smart 60??  I can't find anything on the interweb related to this type of indexer.  There's a surprise, my company buys on obscure off brand product that no one makes anymore  <------ Snarkiness intended :harhar:

• Like 1

Is your Hurco set up to run a 4th Axis?

We have Pro-E programs that use the indexer but we have never used Mastercam to program parts for the indexer.  We could use Pro-E to program these parts but really the only one who uses it anymore is the owner and he's too busy with other stuff to be able to program these parts. 

It could have an m-code that triggers the rotation, I worked on a machine once that had a programmable indexer with a m-code that simply told the indexer to run the next part of the indexer program using an m-code, each time the m-code tripped it sent a signal from a relay in the cabinet to the indexer and the indexer would run the next part of the program.

I recall it was really ugly since if the indexer wasn't reset and homed to the correct rotation prior to starting the program it had no reference whatsoever to where in the program it was being called from.. it was moderately barbaric technology, but at the time it was what we had and it did a great job so long as you were extra careful.

is the indexer laying alng the X axis if yes there would be A rotations. sounds like this is not connected directly to the control panel of the machine.

Yes.  When they set it up in the machine the arbor of the indexer is parallel to the X axis.  I'll look again to see if I missed the program that uses the indexer.  I do know that we have a part that machines all four sides using the indexer.  The operators load the program and hit cycle start and it will machine the four sides without any other operator input.  I'll have to do some more checking

Just found this http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/rethinking-indexers-and-rotary-tables

The picture on the left about halfway down has this caption..

Fig. 3—The AccuSmart 55 servocontrol communicates with the machine’s CNC via either M-code or direct RS-232.

Don't know if that's what you have or not.. but.. there it is FWIW..

• Like 1

No, the control is there own design. Full on conversational, with add ins for standard g-code. They sued anyone who hade a conversational  software on patent infringement and won.  

It is an interesting control, and I wonder how they got it to do 5 axis when it couldn't even do true 3d.

Its all software driven. It loads from the hard drive at start up. Its not like a Fanuc at all.

Machineguy

The two new new Hurcos we have are running WinMax controller in it??  Or maybe their software runs on top of the Winmax??  Not sure.

I found the main program and it is using M20 to advance the indexer.  That M code definition is "Advance the indexer one position"

I guess that means I'm no help here. We control our indexers with RS232 using a macro and the DPRINT[ ] commands in our Fanuc controllers; the only other languages I'm fluent in are Okuma OSP and Mitusbishi MELDAS.

Don't feel bad it's no surprise that Hurco would do things different :thumbdown: