Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

x8 Plane manager ORIGIN fields are blanked out! why? need help

CAMELLO911

John, any idea why this was changed? I find it really annoying especially if i just want to make a quick program for 3 axis verticals.

I read that there were too many problems with a 'floating' system origin, so it was all locked down.

I never had a problem with it though.

The best thing you can probably do, is make yourself a template file with all planes (and levels etc) generated, then import/merge your geometry into this.

• Like 1

John, any idea why this was changed? I find it really annoying especially if i just want to make a quick program for 3 axis verticals.

Newbeee covered it as far as I know

I have seen the issues that were created by this ability....Planes that could be off by .0001 then would not output correct rotations, for seemingly no proper reason. That was an issue we chased for almost 2 years before Karlo figured it out......deep inside.   It never made sense to me why the system origins were allowed to be moved...it just always seemed to me that the system origin should always be the system origin......

As I never moved the system one, I always made copies, this changes has not affect me in any way...

Newbeee covered it as far as I know

I have seen the issues that were created by this ability....Planes that could be off by .0001 then would not output correct rotations, for seemingly no proper reason. That was an issue we chased for almost 2 years before Karlo figured it out......deep inside.   It never made sense to me why the system origins were allowed to be moved...it just always seemed to me that the system origin should always be the system origin......

As I never moved the system one, I always made copies, this changes has not affect me in any way...

Yes John always drove me crazy trying to help someone who changed the system views and were having trouble. Then we would put everything back to where it should be, make copies for the needed stuff and all was right with the world again.

Yes John always drove me crazy trying to help someone who changed the system views and were having trouble. Then we would put everything back to where it should be, make copies for the needed stuff and all was right with the world again.

BUT BUT BUT....

For easy G54 side 1 and G55 Side 2 jobs (ie machine and flip/finish), the standard planes worked great and for the G55, adding a value in the Z field to allow top of second side to be used worked real sweet.

Now we have to make new, and the plane manager is half filled and cluttered with planes that won't be used....be nice if the std planes could be hidden.

BUT BUT BUT....

For easy G54 side 1 and G55 Side 2 jobs (ie machine and flip/finish), the standard planes worked great and for the G55, adding a value in the Z field to allow top of second side to be used worked real sweet.

Now we have to make new, and the plane manager is half filled and cluttered with planes that won't be used....be nice if the std planes could be hidden.

Well I know of a person that think getting in the car and going someone where without knowing where they are going or how to get there is a good idea. They will leave the house and be gone for half a day and then wonder why they could get nothing done. See one time they did that and got lucky and ended up where they wanted to be at. I see the same thing here you need a base of reference and without it you are asking for issues. Like a machine tool or anything that loses it's home position. You might get lucky and get the job done, but without knowing where you are I see it as real hard to know where you are going. I and others I know seen many issues in the past doing it like you mentioned here. Others who did it like the way John mentioned never seen those issues myself included. It is easy to get in a car hit the gas and not know where you are going, but it is much easier to grab a map and use a point of reference to know where you are going.

That said I would love for the Base Coordinate system not to show when you are using a new one on the screen. It drives me crazy I hit F9 and see 2 coordinate systems if using a different WCS than the standard views. A bug in X8 SP3 with dimensioning when using a WCS is also driving me crazy right now. You need to repick your C-Plane every time you are making a dimension. :ouch: