Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dmg_dmu 150 mono question

TheePres

hello all. I started new job today, and will be programming this machine. We have AE coming out in a couple weeks to help get me going on how to operate. I have been reviewing existing programs (catia) and noted that work part origin is not referenced to center of rotation as you would on a trunion style machine. Is this machine not considered a trunion where I have to know exact position of part to machine c/line?

The siemens 840D control has a cycle 800 (Swivel cycle) and also Traori (Tool center point control). These features make it possible to set your part anywhere on the table and the control will calculate and output the appropiate  moves. It all gets complicated to interperate on the machine for the operator but does work well.

You will need a post that can activate these options.

Most of our work is positioning therefore we have elected not to use these features and instead just program the orgins as we wish on the part using worl offsets. If we do start doing live 4th and 5th axis work we plan on programming from the center of rotation as this is a vertical machine without a tilting head. I haven't figured an advantage to using the cycle 800 or Traori at this time with a table/table type machine except that if the fixturing changes from what I programed I wouldn't have to move the geometry in mastercam and repost. But like I said I'll worry about that when/if we start doing live 4/5th axis work.

Programming from center is not required on a properly optioned 5-Axis. The Siemens has the functions mentioned above that are like G68.2 Tilted Work Plane', G54.4 WSEC and G43.4 TCP on a FANUC machine.

:coffee:

Prior to coming on board full-time, I have provided this company with full 5 axis raw data apt source files. They use Icam to post and has worked out well with no issues.but this was for other type 5 axis mills with head/head configurations. I was hesitant to try same on dmu as I have zero experience on trunion style machines thinking I had to know exact positioning,I will try test program thru ICAM tomorrow. If no luck, who would you advice we buy MC post from? I've seen references to Inhouse and cimquest posts in other posts.

We purchased our DMU 50 siemens post from in house solutions thru our reseller. The post from in house solutions makes full use of the cycle 800 and Traori functions. There is also a switch to turn them off.

If we ever purchase another post I would purchase it thru eapprentice.net. Regardless of who makes the post having the expertize of eapprentice as your support would be extremely beneficial.

Prior to coming on board full-time, I have provided this company with full 5 axis raw data apt source files. They use Icam to post and has worked out well with no issues.but this was for other type 5 axis mills with head/head configurations. I was hesitant to try same on dmu as I have zero experience on trunion style machines thinking I had to know exact positioning,I will try test program thru ICAM tomorrow. If no luck, who would you advice we buy MC post from? I've seen references to Inhouse and cimquest posts in other posts.

ICAM can provide a post for that machine no problem. I helped them with several Mastercam customers. MC post many different places to get them.

Programming from center is not required on a properly optioned 5-Axis. The Siemens has the functions mentioned above that are like G68.2 Tilted Work Plane', G54.4 WSEC and G43.4 TCP on a FANUC machine.

:coffee:

On the older DMU's with the Heidenhain controls, the tilted work plane is activated with G7.

(I have a Heidenhain Mill Plus control circa 2006...not sure about the Siemens control but the principle is the same.)

This allows dynamic positioning, i.e. the workpiece can be positioned anywhere on the rotary table.

The user only needs to define the rotary axis zero, and the XYZ origin of the workpiece / fixture.

As long as the machine kinematics are set correctly, the control does the math to make the calculations from the pivot points of the rotary and tilt axes to the user defined origin.

Once you get accustomed to using this type of dynamic positioning, you will NEVER want to mess with a trunion table where you are tied down to those rotary and tilt center points again. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So you know you cannot go direct to Dave at Postabilty. But your dealer should be able or thru my company. We have done two Posts for the DMU's one the 5axis and one 3axis with this control. This is done thru Dave.
If you have a an interest in a post just go to my Company web site under products and fill out the in on the machine needs.