Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4K Monitors?

Dan@home

hdmi 2.0 can support 4k @ 60fps

hdmi 1.4 can support 4k @ 30fps 

Theres only a handful of nvidia cards that has hdmi 2.0.  

back to topic, i opted for the LG 34" 21:9 super widescreen monitor.  3440x1440.  I'm liking it so far.  I was gonna get the seiki 39" tv and use it for a monitor.   

I probably have enough room for two of those, but the price was way to high. Is that the curved monitor?

i have the non curved one.  I used to use two 16:9 monitors but I switch just to this one.  So far im liking it.  I was thinking about adding back one of the 22" 16.9 but using it in vertical orientation.  Would be useful when looking at code or spreadsheets.  

That's some BAD advise right there. :yes:

:shudder:

ATI.... :rofl: Dude... you're high. Put down the doobage and step away from the keyboard. You're going to hurt something.

Look we have keyboard warrior. Do some research 

ATI/AMD 

http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2a/900x900px-LL-2a4e4145_08-SW-03.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Z/L/382305/original/06-DirectX-Inventor.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Z/J/382303/original/05-OpenGL-Synthetic-01-PostFX.png

Look we have keyboard warrior. Do some research

Oh look, we found troll boy's long lost twin. :yes:

Since this is a Mastercam forum, I couldn't really care less about Inventor. ATI has performed poorly with Mastercam due to it's OpenGL implementation. So, unless you've got over 23 years with the software...

:coffee:

Oh look, we found troll boy's long lost twin. :yes:

Since this is a Mastercam forum, I couldn't really care less about Inventor. ATI has performed poorly with Mastercam due to it's OpenGL implementation. So, unless you've got over 23 years with the software...

Inventor, Solidworks and Open GL benchmarks. 

I have read varying reports about most of the topics here and I finished a gaming rig a couple weeks ago.  2 Strix 980's on a single 4k has done very well to say the least.  Someone above said two possibly one 980 and the framerates were not "up to snuff" on some YouTube video.  I would have to agree on one, before I purchased the second one it was disappointing (never with MC).  Two 980's handles everything I have thrown at it.  

I have a variety of machines I use for Mastercam.  Quadro K4000 at work, Surface 3 Pro, K3000m on my Precision laptop, and the aforementioned home rig.  The single 980 displayed on the 4k was far and away the best looking IMO and the best performing in a few toolpath tests of my own and some modeling in SW and Inventor.  I now regularly use it for work, but have done nothing very demanding TBH.  

The icons and menus I have setup like the Surface and I can see it just fine, I do sit really close people always make jokes about it so YMMV.  I can post more information about the machines other specs if anyone is interested, but I have to say it is by no means apples and apples.  I was trying to draw comparisons and clarify any questions about MC performance on the gaming cards.  I have not had an opportunity to test it on 5k but may soon.  I would definitely like to see the Dual Titans setup on 5k and may move to that in a month or so, but I am still really happy with it.

Okay, back to work...

It has been more an issue of OpenGL implementation on ATI's part. It's not what they do well. Gaming... that's another story. If I were a gamer, my rig most likely would have an ATI card but since I do WORK on my rig... tools not toys like someone is suggesting. :yes:

Call me a fanboy, but even for Gaming I prefer the Nvidias. Same with Intel, I prefer intel over AMD and Nvidia over ATI. Just had better experiences with them

• 3 weeks later...

Unless my dyslexia has become worse (yes I do have actully have dysexia), I'm not seeing Mastercam in your reply.

Ran some testing for myself. Using the Benchmark Here: 3min 54sec Mastercam X8 (lastest patches and service pack)

Brought a 290X just for you Fogorn. I could shave a couple seconds running mastercam off a ram disk but a pain to use everyday. 

3930K OC 4.5GHZ (everyday overclock)

R9 290X 

Two 850 EVO 500 GB ( Raid 0)

840 Pro 256 GB (OSX)

32gb  2133 Mhz Ram 

Seasonic Gold 650watt 

Corair Air 540

Sooo as a couple of weeks go buy, I find I really need to sit close to my (2) displays, in order to see the details. I am not a gamer (modern type anyway)

MCX9 works really well. Kind of like sitting in the front row of a cinemax theater with binoculars on (no spell check). I am liking it...

• 3 months later...

Sooo.....  I upgraded my monitor to a 28" 4k ( http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA ) and my video card to handle the 3820 X 2160 resolution... 

And it is excellent...  Still trying to work out settings for MasterCam though...  The clarity is unreal..  And the icons are perfectly clear, however borderline microscopic...

Even setting it to "large icons" makes them about 5/32" tall.  The text in my operations manager is still too small, but very readable..  Up close...  With my old eyes..  lol..  :)

But, overall....  I would say DO IT !!!!!!

The only reason I bought the quadro card was that they are recomended for what we do (wanted the best). Just verified a huge 5X file with not an issue. With all the clarity you/I would ever need and better than the quadro. I don't quite understand the gobbolity goupe about the difference between the two, from what I gathered is the quadro is fast at quality with surfaces/solids ext. I'm not doing a disney pixar film, just a verification of toolpaths. It seems the new verify is more towards the gamer side of video graphics than the rendering of solids/surfaces. Witch this cheap card, compared to the quadro, is doing really well. I may be wrong but just going with what I see.

This is kind of of the topic of the title of this thread.

The 4000 is an older Quattro version. Maybe not well suited for newer 4k monitors. Also, there have been many, many issues reported with the 4k monitors. Many are dumping their 4K's for Quad (2k) monitors. Also, HP just released 5k monitors. I have seen the graphics for cadcam on 4k. To tell you the truth, I prefer the 2k over anything.

The quadro 4000 will support the 4k using the two display ports on it. But at this time I am not jumping to the 4k monitors either. for me larger monitors are my choice. with more space for all my stuff. As also my eyes are better due to surgery but still the high res make in some cases such small detail hard to read.

Sooo.....  I upgraded my monitor to a 28" 4k ( http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LU28D590DS/ZA ) and my video card to handle the 3820 X 2160 resolution... 

And it is excellent...  Still trying to work out settings for MasterCam though...  The clarity is unreal..  And the icons are perfectly clear, however borderline microscopic...

Even setting it to "large icons" makes them about 5/32" tall.  The text in my operations manager is still too small, but very readable..  Up close...  With my old eyes..  lol..  :)

But, overall....  I would say DO IT !!!!!!

I take it back...  Mastercam is either not ready for 4K, or I need an even bigger vieo card....

Every time I create an entity, like a line for example, the screen flashes...  I can work with it, but it's annoying as hell..

The resolution is still a problem.  If you make the icons and fonts bigger, they overlap...  Lame....

• Like 1

I take it back...  Mastercam is either not ready for 4K, or I need an even bigger vieo card....

Every time I create an entity, like a line for example, the screen flashes...  I can work with it, but it's annoying as hell..

The resolution is still a problem.  If you make the icons and fonts bigger, they overlap...  Lame....

Just get a couple of Titan Z's in that baby.  :scooter:

hdmi 2.0 can support 4k @ 60fps

hdmi 1.4 can support 4k @ 30fps 

Theres only a handful of nvidia cards that has hdmi 2.0.  

back to topic, i opted for the LG 34" 21:9 super widescreen monitor.  3440x1440.  I'm liking it so far.  I was gonna get the seiki 39" tv and use it for a monitor.   

I have been looking at these as well. Did you get the flat panel, or the curved?

The quadro 4000 will support the 4k using the two display ports on it. But at this time I am not jumping to the 4k monitors either. for me larger monitors are my choice. with more space for all my stuff. As also my eyes are better due to surgery but still the high res make in some cases such small detail hard to read.

My pc's are running Thunderbolt 2.0 ports for high res monitors. Thunderbolt is the new display port. My video cards are  k4100m.