Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SELECTING GEOMETRY

paulfell

Just migrated to x8 - when trying to trim geometry with solid on screen - it is not easy to select the geometry for trimming, it may select the linear edge of model - or spline edge - easy if i turn level with model off to trim - but this is not good - as lots of trimming - and adds lots of time - any way of adjusting settings so it wont select off the model ?( no problem in x7 previously - as would only ever select geometry - not sure if its a settings issue - or new feature in x8)- in pic - I am trying to select green geometry to trim - i dont want to select dotted line edge - which it has selected in this instance - isometric view for easy viewing - but normally i am trimming in top view - hence problem

post-54503-0-28389100-1428444008_thumb.png

You can use shift to help you select lines rather than surfaces or solids.  Though, since shift is used for selecting chains, hit shift, hover over desired geometry, then release shift to select single features or continue holding down to select a chain.  Hopefully this helps?  :whistle:

alt s turns of shading....and it is not broken....

you must turn this off to select splines...

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I did try that. It still didn't allow me to select the lines.

I shut down X8 and restarted it, and I was then able to select the lines. About twenty or so minutes later, the selection issue returned. I ensured the Edge selection (in fact all solid selections) were switched off, but still no go. A restart of X8 allowed me to again select the lines.

Not sure what is up. Not having had to do much modelling in X8 previously, it isn't something I have encountered.

I did try that. It still didn't allow me to select the lines.

I shut down X8 and restarted it, and I was then able to select the lines. About twenty or so minutes later, the selection issue returned. I ensured the Edge selection (in fact all solid selections) were switched off, but still no go. A restart of X8 allowed me to again select the lines.

Not sure what is up. Not having had to do much modelling in X8 previously, it isn't something I have encountered.

make sure the window select is not up....that sounds like what is happening....

You can also toggle the only button which you can pick only lines.

But the window select will not let you pick single entities.

I just hit alt s, toggle chain, and toggle off solid edge select and have no problem picking curves in a whole mess of crap stacked on top of each other...

If you have shading on, yes it is impossible not to pick a solid.

Must be something up with my setup.

X7 works fine, and the X9 PB works fine.

Thanks for the helpful responses though. I appreciate it :)

make sure the window select is not up.

You can also toggle the only button which you can pick only lines.

But the window select will not let you pick single entities.

Window select wasn't up :)

As I said, it isn't something I have encountered before.

In all seriousness, when trimming wireframe with a solid on the screen, turn this little bugger off...it allows edge selection and when a solid is active, so is it.

If you're not trimming to a solid, it's cumbersome.....so toggle it off when you need to do so.

2015-04-08_8-23-48_zpsz7omzsij.png

It's new in X8 and rather untamed

In all seriousness, when trimming wireframe with a solid on the screen, turn this little bugger off...it allows edge selection and when a solid is active, so is it.

If you're not trimming to a solid, it's cumbersome.....so toggle it off when you need to do so.

TWAK!

This is the answer to my original question - a simple solution - just wasn't looking for it - as not in x7 - thanks