Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Keep tool down in drilling cycle

randommachinist

Hey guys, very new to mastercam here and new to the forum also. Anyways, I have a 4.250 dia. hole that I have to bore out. Basically, I want to bore this hole 1.5 inches deep, have the tool dwell momentarily, and then stop. I do not want the tool to retract out of the hole, I prefer to do it manually. What's the best way to go about this in mastercam?

Using a boring bar I would stop and orient the spindle than shift it .005" in the appropriate direction than retract. No need to adjust the bore smaller just to retract. Also this can be done fully automated so there is no operator involvement. You would have to create a custom drill cycle for this if you do it a lot. Otherwise just hand edit it. 

Or you could just use the bore cycle that feeds in and out. That way you wouldn't have to make a drill cycle or hand edit anything.

• Like 1

Does the machine have a fine bore drill cycle?  Its normally G76 on fanuc machines.  If so, then you should be able to use the Fine Bore drill cycle in mastercam.

If this is a fanuc machine, Just make sure the retract orientation is set up correctly in the parameters for the machine.  Parameter 5101 bit 4 and 5.  

7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

X X 0 0 X X X X        Retracts X+

X X 0 1 X X X X        Retracts X-

X X 1 0 X X X X        Retracts Y+

X X 1 1 X X X X        Retracts Y-

Gcode Cycle syntax should look like this = G76 Z [Depth] R [Feed Plane] Q [Retract Amount] F [Feed]