Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Building a new PC. Thoughts?

rad_rob

Hey guys, so Ive decided to build a work PC that will handle Mastercam a lot better than the turd I am running right now. Just got into some pretty complex projects and this computer was almost unusable. So the time has come to build a new PC. I know the topic has been discussed a few times, but I was wondering what you guys think about this build. Also, I see a lot of people talking about Quadro graphics cards. These are new to me, what exactly is the benefit of them? 

Here is how I currently have the new PC spec'd:

-i7-5930K 6-core 3.5ghz 

-MSI X99S SLI Plus LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

-Corsair LPX 32GB (4x8) DDR4 3000

-850w power supply

-MSI GTX 980 4gb 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x 16

I am fairly new to building PC's, but had a buddy of mine help me spec this one out. I was about to place the order, but then started hearing about the Quadro card and was wondering if it was actually worth it or is the GTX 980 will work just fine. 

Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

This has been covered at length. Do a quick search and you will see where everyone stands on them. I will continue using a Quadro card until they come out with a better professional grade card. I run the K5200 now and would go to the K6000 if money wasn't a factor. Its all what your needs are.

On the card it does depend on your budget and the kind of work you do.  If you do a lot of Solidworks too I would recommend the Quadro if you can swing it, but otherwise I personally would go GeForce.

If you're not in a big rush you might consider waiting for the new Skylake processors that are supposed to be released this September.  I'm thinking about a 6700K.