Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 Translucency setting?

djstedman

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a setting in X9 to have translucency off by default?

It seems like its on by default in X9 and I haven't been able to find any place to change that behavior, I know I can shut it off using the translucency toggle, but I pretty much never want my models to be translucent and the few times I do it would be a heck of a lot easier to turn it on than to always be turning it off.

Another question regarding translucency .. does anyone know how to make the tool in the classic backplot display as a solid? Maybe I'm losing my mind but it seems to me it was always shaded solid in the past and now its translucent no matter what .. now I often can't tell if its Intersecting the model or not because of how its displayed translucent..

Anyhow.. really hoping someone knows a simple way around these two issues..

• Like 1

Settings - > Configuration -> Shading -> Translucent is already unchecked.  That was the first thing I checked.

When opening Mastercam the model is still translucent until I click the translucency toggle.

The second setting worked though.. so there is that..  although now that it worked I just realized the problem is worse than I originally thought.. it appears that the tool is always displayed 'in front' of any geometry even if the geometry should occlude the tool.

This actually explains the weirdness I was seeing when it was semi-transparent as well.

I wonder if others are experiencing the same thing or if this is a graphics issue?  In order to replicate this you can go to backplot something on a solid with the solid model visible and once it starts where it should be cutting pause backplot and rotate the view so the model should obscure the view of the tool.. for me at least, the tool displays 'in front' of the model when it should in fact be obscured by the model since it is actually 'behind' the model

I take it this is the humorous way of telling me its doing the same thing for you then?   I was kind of hoping this was a graphics card issue.

If it were I could possibly fix it with a different card, but if it is a Mastercam issue that everyone is having then guess I will take a deep breath and carry on .. unless of course someone does indeed know a fix for it..

It's not happening for me at all. Everything appears as it should. My solids are solid and my tools behave, so it may be a graphics card issue for you; however the technical aspects of Mastercam are beyond my scope of experience. So hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

I do know that hitting things with a hammer will always result in one of two outcomes: 1) it will make things better, 2) it will make things worse.

I am not sure at this point.. been messing with my drivers trying to fix the issue I have with backplot - that is really the one that's a lot more upsetting .. anyhow after messing with some of the settings for my video card it seems like the translucency toggle is working.. or at least I can't seem to get it to do what it was doing before.

The backplot issue I am having is far more frustrating anyhow, since without being able to tell if the tool is in back or in front of the piece its cutting makes every backplot a lot less useful for determining what is actually going on.

• 2 years later...

Mastercam has this slightly less documented method of "remembering" your default status .  Set all you can from the configuration settings and then set all the other stuff in Mastercam you want in a certain way . For example ,  choose the solids tab from the ops manager area if you want Mastercam to open up with the solids tab visible .  Now go into configuration and change something totally irrelevant to like something in the wire backplot setting. That will force mastercam to save configuration settings. Next time you open Mastercam , presto, solids tab is the one open .  Wireframe  or shading and their nuances are controlled from the bottom strip of Mcam as of 2017 and they obey this "Mastercam configuration paradigm".

Gracjan

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 8:29 AM, djstedman said:

The backplot issue I am having is far more frustrating anyhow

I rely probably 95% of the time on verify. But I do use backplot to check engagement on surfacing and stitching. I always backplot in these cases against a solid. My normal solid color is 171 (dark green) which contrasts well with the tool color (default). The amount of engagement can be judged from the "bleed through" of the solid to the "interior" of the tool. This also works in contour, but again against a solid rather than geometry. So at theoretical zero stock just a thin line should bleed through. If you add -ve stock the bleed through will widen out.

Using the contrasting colors also works for me in verify where I use 171 for solid and bright red for .STL. Gouges just jump off the screen.....

In the days before the new verify (after X6?) I was told that backplot was the most accurate, but I don't know if that is still the case......

HTH