Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Xform stl in X9?

fastercam

I've not seen this function in X9.

It's not shown in the drop down and if I go into "Settings", "Customize", "Category", "Xform", it doesn't appear there either.

It's been a function in Mastercam for as long as I can remember and I use it regularly.

Thanks

Ok first let me preface this by saying that I think im generally a pretty calm guy.. but seriously, your going to complain about it cause you have to hit 2 buttons to delete it now after your comparison?

I mean .. yeah it may not be exactly the same as what your used to, but can't we agree that there are bigger things to worry about for the Mastercam developers than maintaining a 'redundant' function that never worked nearly as nice as the new one?  (and yeah I do believe a function that does basically the exact same thing as the new function is redundant) 

In order to maintain that function requires developer time and resources that could be much better spent on more pressing issues.. or wait.. you could use two mouse clicks to delete after your comparison.. hardly a matter worthy of debate IMO.

Can the stock model be transformed to a new position? so far I have not been able to do that. Had they left well enough alone it worked the way it was. Any way its time to move on, it is what it is.

No, the stock model is treated as a toolpath, however you can save a stock model as a pmesh and that can be translated.

You can also run a comparison in the stock model utility.

Can the stock model be transformed to a new position? so far I have not been able to do that. Had they left well enough alone it worked the way it was. Any way its time to move on, it is what it is.

yes, by changing the tool plane in the stock model definition you can place a stock model anywhere you like.

I leave them in the file and use the toolpath display button to turn them off an on when I want to see them

Its different.. but works much better once you're used to it

As yet I can not position the stock model where my part is. When I use the work plane for my part the stock model is 90 deg. off and about an inch away from my part, picking the part origin makes no difference.

Are you choosing the stock plane in the Stock Definition page of the stock model toolpath?  You should be able to choose that and have it alter the position of your initial stock (before the toolpaths are applied to it)

You should be able to make a stock model after all your toolpaths from your previous operation, then use that toolpath as the stock for your next stock model, on the new stock model you would choose the stock plane to be whichever plane you wanted the stock to be located in relation too.

So for instance all your toolpaths for op 1 are in the top plane, then for op2 you will be working from the front plane, you make a stock model using your initial stock and all the op 1 toolpaths and name it op1, then for the op2 stock you choose the stock model op1 you just made for your initial stock shape and choose the stock plane as 'front' for it, you should end up with a stock model in 'front' orientation that is the result of what you 'cut' in op1.