Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool setter-scanning tool and holder capabilities

Is there a tool setter that will scan and record the shape of the tool as well as a shape of the holder and save it in usable format?

I want to be able to create a custom tools as well as holder geometry (any assembly) to use in mastercam.

TIA

Zoller will do that for you (at least that is what I was told). We are in the process of purchasing a unit from them. From what I was told we will be able to scan and record different shape tools. Zoller will become our main tool library. Tooling info for our CAM system as well as verification system will be pulled out from Zoller. I am not 100% sure of what unit we are getting, but it sure is pricey. Somewhere between 150k and 200k.

You could work backwards and pull dimensions from a custom tool and/or check them against the data that you already have for that given tool. That way you will know if the cutter is out of spec prior to running it.

• Like 2

Zoller will do that for you (at least that is what I was told). We are in the process of purchasing a unit from them. From what I was told we will be able to scan and record different shape tools. Zoller will become our main tool library. Tooling info for our CAM system as well as verification system will be pulled out from Zoller. I am not 100% sure of what unit we are getting, but it sure is pricey. Somewhere between 150k and 200k.

We were looking at a Zoller. I think you just changed our minds.

We're looking at Speroni and a couple others.

As Rob said, we already know the custom tool geo. It'd be to verify that it matches, but the tool holder data from manufacturers is wrong a lot more often than you'd think.

We also use a bunch of custom holder here...i'm tired of verifying and drawing them, lol

Mark,

I don't know the price but would something like this work if you can save out as dxf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmCzj7beEWk

Fully understand this is only inspection but could (?) check holder and tool set-up?

Not a presetter but maybe worth a look?

An old customer from a few years ago had an early one and it was good.

Our new Zoller will do just that, Robk i think you are a little off on price, like at least over double. The one we are getting has the scanning, side camera, and cnc measuring. Just drop the tool in and let it do its thing. 

Our new Zoller will do just that, Robk i think you are a little off on price, like at least over double. The one we are getting has the scanning, side camera, and cnc measuring. Just drop the tool in and let it do its thing. 

I'm sure there are systems is different price ranges.

I'm looking at the quote now and I stand by my original comment in regards to the price  :ouch:  .

The unit that we are getting is Venturion 600-pilot 3.0- Redomatic with RFID (That's a mouth full).

I'm sure there are systems is different price ranges.

I'm looking at the quote now and I stand by my original comment in regards to the price   :ouch:  .

The unit that we are getting is Venturion 600-pilot 3.0- Redomatic with RFID (That's a mouth full).

I guess what i was saying is that you don't need to spend that much to get the capability, I also didn't mean to imply that you were making numbers up, i am looking at the quote right now for a 450, the only thing we wont get is the RFID right now. but its modular so we can add it later. and the price is half of what the 600 is i guess. 

I didn't want anyone to see those numbers and not even look at zoller, because they are amazing machines.

• Like 1