Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with Drilling Titanium

.125 dia x .7 Dp

Type 2 Titanium

CNC Lathe limited to 2500rpm

Been running the best with parabolic TiN coated, 10 parts before a pop.

Been pecking .1

Need to run 200 holes

How about a drill recommendation?

Using FSWizard for speed and feed but can't get up to rpm.

Thanks,

Barry in St Louis

Do you have thru tool coolant? If not make sure you retract you drill far enough to clear out the chips and put coolant into the bottom of the hole if possible. I would check out WALTERS TITEX drills. I have also used OSG drills both live very well in titanium. What surface footage are you running? I'd start at 80 and work my way up from there (should get around 135 sfm if all works well).

Limited in this machine to 2500rpm. I noticed that I really need closer to 4400. As for coolant, no thru the spindle. I am doing a full retract, but only to .05. I will try .25, and throw a short dwell between pecks to insure coolant in the hole. Worst case, I could offload the hole to one of the mills to get more rpm.

Thanks a bunch,

Barry in St Louis

I have had a lot of experience with lathes and titanium. Having your drill indicated in all directions is extremely necessary. Coolant through is also a must. I've had good luck with Dream Drills. Pecking to much can also hurt more than it helps. Titanium will work  harden very quickly. Using the right angle on you spot drill will also make a huge difference. They make up to 140 degree spot drills. Make sure the angle on your spot drill is bigger than your drill.

Scott,

Really kinda small in diameter to get coolant thru.

Got a recommended peck for me?

Do you think .001 TIR is close for alignment? ( to get closer, I would need to align the turret's radial locking orientation)

Just ordered a Walter-Titex drill, per another poster's recommendation.

Had never used their online application selection tool, so cool.

Knew about the spot drill angle, only spotting on a barely...

Barry in St Louis