Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 and longhand drill cycle

JAMMAN

I was told once how to do this but have forgotten.

How do you make peck drill cycles output longhand instead of using the canned cycle? My Fadal is forgetting to rapid to just before the last peck... on the last 2 or 3 pecks of all the deep holes.. so it goes feedrate from top of stock. Works fine for the first 10 pecks or so then takes minutes to complete the last 3 pecks.

Thanks-

Jim

• Like 1

...and the posted code looks alright?

I'm not saying that you're lying to us, but that sounds absolutely absurd. :laughing:

A FANUC... yes. Absolutely absurd. A FATAL? Not so much. That is a f****d up piece of crap control that does weird $#!+ at will for no reason. :yes:

I've seen them "run away" on me personally. Almost got fired over it.

I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't seen it for myself. It doesn't get easier than this:

G98 G83 Z7.068 R9.368 Q.1 F3.

Same code as a few other holes on the part. Shallow holes drill fine. Deeper ones feed from top of stock on the last 2 or 3 strokes while the first few work fine.

Had an old anilam that would feed from top of stock every peck on a canned cycle, had to use longhand for that. It was easy in V9, there was a drop down for longhand.

No, getting a new machine is not an option. I wish it was.

Sometimes things just aren't what they seem. Not long ago I was setting tools on a Haas one day and out of the blue, when setting the length of taps with the tool setter, it would error out before touching the probe. I had just set 6 drills and now it is failing on the tap. I reset the length of the previous drill and it worked fine. So I tried the tap again, and it failed. So I tried to set the length of a different tap that I had in the machine. It failed. I tried a different drill and it worked fine. I tried the tap again and it failed. I had one more tap in the machine so I tried to set it. It failed. I set a different drill and it worked fine. I also checked an end mill and it worked fine. I came to the conclusion that there was a problem setting the length of taps.

I searched online, scanned through the manual, and could not figure out why all of a sudden I could not set the length of a tap but I could set all other tools. Finally I realized that the coolant hoses we're blocking the laser from the probe to the receiving unit. This only happened on taps because they were so much shorter than the other tools that the spindle had to travel farther down in the Z which put the coolant hoses in the way of the laser. It would seem that there was a problem with setting the length of taps, but that was not the case. Things aren't always what they seem.

• Like 1

What about getting another job LOL

Too old, too settled. When I started 11 years ago they didn't even have a CNC or mastercam. We have 4 dinosaurs and a new Chinese hole popper EDM. Beats cranking handles. Besides it is a challenge making compressor wheels on a Fadal. LOL. Makes wheels better than it drills holes go figure.

• Like 1

(while you have a MC program up using that machine) Settings/Machine definition manager. When in there click the "Edit the control definition" icon.

Resulting tree on the left, click the "Machine Cycles" pink question mark (why does it have to be pink) and then the "Mill Drill Cycles" pink question mark. Un check the routines you want to use longhand.

V8 was easier and you didn't have to do it globally per cycle, you could do 2 in a row canned and one longhand if you wanted in the same program. But I'll take what I can get and the part I am making will run a lot faster.

Thanks to all that were involved!

Jim