Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A286 opinions

mkd

Flood Coolant or thru spindle air?

got a flight hardware piece on the mill turn, but not happy with inert life as edges are only lasting about 1 part or ~30min

running a high feed tungaloy 1.25" cutter.

.02 z depth 900rpm @20. ipm.

any opinions?

they are tungaloy  M-L AH725 i guess.

well the edges are breaking down after one little part so it couldn't get much worse.

the feed seems pretty slow when the box recommends .012-.028ipt for Stainless.

been about 15 years since I've cut the stuff and i wasn't great with it then. haha

Peel mill, 1.25 deep, .02-.03radial and dry.

HMC, so chip evacuation was great.

Worked a lot better than feed mill.

cant sidemill on outside due to 1" part on 8" chuck.

I am Peel milling in slot with .250 em. 2000rpm@23ipm with great coolant flow. doesn't sound too fast put that little cutter is zipping through the slot pretty good. But its getting dull pretty quick and leaving lots of excess material in clevis for finishing. Had to add a finish tool, which is also needing more and more spring passes to hit tolerance. maybe the coolant is murdering the edge on these?

• 2 weeks later...

ended up doing some side milling on vert mill.

tried running air blast on .500" endmill. less than impressed with results. stuff is gummy and chips were re-welding themselves to part, especially on a conventional cut.

a little oil in the air stream made a huge difference.

Best luck I have had with A286 is using fine tooth roughers running with coolant.. I guess it depends on the part geometry but using fine tooth roughers I was able to remove stock far faster and with much better tool life than any kind of highfeed or dynamic type paths using regular cutters. Never even crossed my mind to bother with inserts so not sure how they would work but tbh im not surprised at the 30 minutes tool life.. that's prob not too bad for inserts in A286 .. that stuff is pretty bad to cut.