Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tilt Tool to Avoid Collision

Reko

I have never used it before, but I have a part that I'd like to try it on...

Has anyone used "Collision Checking" and "Tilt Tool to Avoid Gouge" in the Holder section of the tree?

I was looking for feedback, like how well does it work and are there any pitfalls to using it?

Thanks!

It works great Reko. What kind of machine, 4X or 5X?

When you activate that option, it essentially takes the toolpath as it exists (waterline, with holder gouges for example), and then does the 3X to 5X Conversion.

It is literally the easiest way to get into learning 5X paths. I find that it works best (for output) on a trunnion, since you often don't have as many wind-up issues to deal with. Head/table machines handle it well too.

Just make sure you give it enough clearance on the holder, and it creates vector positions on the code, which tilt the tool (or part) away from the collision.

It works great Reko. What kind of machine, 4X or 5X?

I'm going to do it on a 5-Axis Haas Trunnion... I mocked up the shrink fit tool holder so I could choke up on a ball end mill to keep from having to reducing the speeds and feeds using long stick-outs... I'm trying to avoid hanging tools out a country mile. I'm tipping it 15 degrees and I'm going to let it finish "casting" type surfaces out of a solid piece of aluminum... great finishes aren't critical. 

It looks really good in Verify, so I'll post back and tell how it worked.

Thanks.

I'd be cautious of running it (or any 5 axis program) near A0 on a control without TCP.  On a Table/Table design like that (or a Head/Head for that matter), you can run into singularity problems when the primary rotary gets perpendicular to the spindle, so your C axis (most HAASes call it a B for some reason?) can experience large moves.

Normally this isn't a big deal, but without TCP, you can gouge the part when this happens because the control doesn't compensate the tool tip while traversing the vector.  Use all of your normal multiaxis programming techniques on that machine, like mounting it to a sine plate so that when the part is "flat," the A axis is actually at 10° or whatever and doesn't pass perpendicular to the spindle.

So, in summary, use all normal caution you would with any other 5 axis toolpath on this machine, but the "tilt away" function works great :)

• Like 2