Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machining large threads .300 plus deep

My partner was telling me they used a G92 when he was machining winch reels , they would use a smaller tool and rough the center then offset to the left of the groove then to the right .

I am just starting to learn about Mastercam , but the little I know about GIBBS is they have a cycle that can allow one to rough a thread using position offsets , I would think Mastercam has something similar .

Not trying very hard. Insert would be .800 plus wide and .600 plus deep. We used Nican to do this before but support for this software is very limited. We figure it out anyway. The Threadc.dll is a user app won't work because threads have radius in them. This is a site I won't return to. Really blowtorch and edm.

Well, if you would notice all of the other requests for help were full of info up front.  Such as machine, material, depth of thread, length of thread etc.  You didn't even bother to mention it was buttress threads at first.

That's like saying "need help milling."

Ok, milling what?  Come on don't get your panties in a wad when your at fault.  This forum has helped me more than the official MCAM forum.  Like everything else in life, you get out what you put in.  Reread your initial post and try to help yourself.  Did you get enough info in the initial post to help?  NO.  So expect some sarcasm as there are may types of members here.

With that attitude, you'll never get any help.

• Like 1

Not trying very hard. Insert would be .800 plus wide and .600 plus deep. We used Nican to do this before but support for this software is very limited. We figure it out anyway. The Threadc.dll is a user app won't work because threads have radius in them. This is a site I won't return to. Really blowtorch and edm.

Obvious sarcasm was obvious. You must either be new to the world of machining or you don't venture out very much if you think "need help roughing large thread" is any way to ask for help. The sheer number of variables involved make it impossible to answer. You still haven't said whether it will be on a mill, or lathe, or mill/turn; what material, how deep is the thread, and on and on.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings...  I'm used to a ball busting machine shop, and sarcasm does run rampid...  There were a lot of variables, so people were having some fun while they were waiting on a response.  I'm sure no one meant harm, but if ya can't take a joke.........  

Good luck on finding the help ya need!

• Like 1

Ok. We will try this again not a good passed couple of day . 1st it on a lathe 2 axis. Large insert are not a option. We have done many of these threads using Nican but that software will go away when our XP laptops die. We did find away to do this with the groove tool path and a post change . So thanks for the help. I believe you would have to edit the post to get Threadc.dll to work it give a fault that there are radius in thread contour. We do a lot of large parts in 40" dia. plus range so something  that could rough out large threads would have been good but using groove tool path works. I'll have to look into the G92 idea. Thanks. Sorry for being thinned skin just one of then weeks. Have a good weekend.

• Like 1