Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Points along a chain?

Eric S.

Hello all

I am having a little trouble. What I have is curved geometry, to make it simple say that it is a box with filleted corners. What I am trying to do is create a bunch of points along the geometry evenly spaced apart. The only thing i can find that is sort of like what I am looking for is create points along entities but I can only select 1 entity at a time. What I want to is chain to create points evenly through the chain?

I hope I did not confuse you too much. hehe

thank you

Eric

Eric, I've been down this road once and came to a dead end. there is not even a way to set the spaceing of the points as a default distance. when you select create points along entities your option is figure out the line or 3d curve length then divide by # of points to get your spaceing distance. unless there is something new I don't know about. rolleyes.gif

+1 on rich you can also do this for 3d curves when tryign to use a funky edge for a boundary.

1) Create curve form one edge. The trick here is to do this on a seperate layer to keep it all straight.

2) I then use the modify squash and put these curves at a height I want.

3)Then as suggest about create spline and then grab all the curves and then do it. You do soemtimes get problems if they are overlapping I then may do a little work creating arcs or trimming but soemtimes on those odd ball shape it is just what you need.

Crazy Millman

Woooo Nelly.....I never trust this function totally in any cam or cad system..(I got burned once never again)..double check for equal distance between points

Do this.....analyze/length...then divide this by the number of points you want on that polyline...errrrr spline

this can also tell you what is the equal spacing each point is along that spline........copy spline & points to another screen location ....Break this copy at the points.

Then analyze each segment & compare values.....they should be the same.