Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

transform toolpath issue

MSL

Hi,

I'm trying to use axis substitution and then transform my toolpath on our C-axis NL3000 Mori Seiki lathe. I have done this before but somehow now I can not do it anymore. Verify and back plot looks good but when I post, I get a warning ( axis substitution must use top plane) which I am using top plane. If I ignore the warning I get identical G-code for my rotations.

Using X9.

Thank you.

post-22785-0-18966900-1452102419_thumb.jpg

post-22785-0-37059300-1452102432_thumb.jpg

post-22785-0-85485400-1452102455_thumb.png

Just want to double check here. Is it going to work if I post out the first toolpathe and then instead of using transform toolpath which does not work, just input the C axis angle inside the machine? I'm running out of time on this part and I'm in a situation that I can not move the part to the mill.

^^^ should work.

I'd unroll all the slots, contour all of them with axis sub.

edit: C-axis contour is also an option but having never done it with X9/lathe not sure if it would help.

throws your same warning with duplicate code...

• 2 months later...

• I am having the same problem with an axis sub simple contour pass, I did the translate method before but only had 3 indexes and input them manually. now I am doing a gear with 74 teeth so I would like for it to output the rotations. I cannot get it to post out the rotation on each tooth, it just repeats the same axis sub move over and over?

• I am having the same problem with an axis sub simple contour pass, I did the translate method before but only had 3 indexes and input them manually. now I am doing a gear with 74 teeth so I would like for it to output the rotations. I cannot get it to post out the rotation on each tooth, it just repeats the same axis sub move over and over?

It was said you cannot do this with an Axis Sub Toolpath. You will need to make up the chains that represent your 74 teeth and then you will be good to go. The formula above show you have to come up with the circumference of the OD of the part you are cutting. There will be 74 lines representing your cuts to be used by the Axis Sub Operation Transformed in the Y direction and you are done. Using the above Pi X Ø10.0 / 74 teeth = .4245" and what I did here is assume the OD of the gear you are cutting is 10, but you need to be careful of stack error. 74 x .4245 is 31.413", but the math for the above is closer to 31.4159" so you might be better using that length and then using the create point segment and then use 74 and that will equally divide the distance and you will not get the stack error.

HTH