Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thru spindle sealed collets

Ok guys, we only have 250 psi coolant through spindle on our older machines and we are looking at getting new machines with 1000psi coolant. We have purchased sealed ER collets/nuts for some jobs and we still have leakage ( with 250 psi). My question is what brands or collet system are the best and what brands (systems) to stay away from.

TIA

Iscar, Lyndex and Pioneer HPI coolant collets work great (no rubber insets). I like a collet and a nut setup.

The key here is to get the exact sized collet for the shank of the tool.

I run up to 1200psi, and a little leak is not abnormal with er collets.

I don't like using any kind of sealing discs as a retrofit for regular collets.

Also shrink fit works great, but that's a totally different system.

hth

Thanks Mark, we are currently trying parlec and techniks. both seam to leak a little with 250 psi.

The tool has to go to the bottom of the collet or it won't seal.

We use technics and no leaks as long as the tool will go to the bottom of the holder.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can get a 3J style collet that is sealed ??.

We run them on our the "B" spindle on the turning centers and with thru coolant I am still getting  shaving between the collet body OD and the ID of the collet chuck .

Over the  course of day the collet opening size is reduced due to the chips , and eventually it does not open up enough to grab the part during the transfer procedure .

Ideally I am looking for a steel body collet with the slots filled with rubber to help prevent this issue does such a item exist ?? .