Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Soft aluminum

So not a Guru

Anyone have any experience routing soft aluminum sheet? We've got some 0.080" thick 7075-0 sheet we have to route parts out of, but we've broken 10 bits without making a good part yet. The Onsrud tech support says they'll call back sometime, but they've told us that before & never returned the call. In the mean time, we need to cut our parts.

We are using the 3/16" "O" bit recommended for soft aluminum, but we can't seem to find the right speeds & feeds combination.

That's like cutting bubble gum.

I take it the material wants to stick to the cutter?

If I was having that problem, I'd grab a paint brush and some STP lube from the auto store. (Slick 50 works on 6061 TO, but you cant find it anymore)

Mobile 1 syn maybe. You need to keep that cutter as slick as possible.

Yea I see its a router, but sometimes you need to change things up to make it work.

It will make a mess, but you have a job to do. Just a idea ! :smoke:

Paint the sheet, not the cutter.

Actually, it turned out that the problem is the special "O" cutter. the darn thing is so delicate that simply measuring the tool chips the end. I switched to an 1/8" single flute upcut bit & ramped contour. It' cutting beautifully now.

Still no call back from Onsrud. In a word their tech support, $^<k$.

We rout 7075-O sheet all the time anywhere from .040 to .125. We use the 63-600 series of cutters from Onsrud (single flut upcut). Run them around 15,000rpm and 50ipm. Unimist Coolube in a spray bottle sprayed on the material before the cut works pretty well for us.

We rout 7075-O sheet all the time anywhere from .040 to .125. We use the 63-600 series of cutters from Onsrud (single flut upcut). Run them around 15,000rpm and 50ipm. Unimist Coolube in a spray bottle sprayed on the material before the cut works pretty well for us.

Do you have to ramp contour? Or do you cut full depth thru the material?

I switched to an 1/8" single flute upcut bit & ramped contour. It' cutting beautifully now.

Yep...that sounds about right.

As mentioned, the stuff is so gummy that anything more than a single flute cutter is going to load up almost immediately and probably snap.

Glad you got it running good now!  :cheers:

+1000 to ramp to depth on lead in.  We've got some idiots here that will do a 1 degree ramp contour around an 8 foot long part!   :wallbash:

When I was running our routers i was told by the programmer then that those machines were not able to ramp. He would plung the single flute router bit and had a 50/50 chance of snapping the tip off.