Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

little problem but new to me.

I have a solid with  a wavy top surface that would be difficult to get a 2d flat chain from to simply contour the outer profile.

no problem ill just use silhouette boundry on a new level and be done with it.the part also has 3 holes on it that are .343 dia. which it also created geometry for.

it created the boundry and it all looked great.

I cut the od no problem and accurately.when I went to do the holes I just left that layer active and selected one of the arcs that the silhouetted boundry created.i thought it was a bit odd that it didn't select the whole arc just a part of it but from a top view it still looked quite round and the same size as the model.

after making the part I notice the holes were out of location.

a careful examination of the geometry the silhouette boundry created showed that it created several different size arcs with way different center points.

I always select entity and arcs to define my drill points when possible.

just something to look out for.

I don't really think that's a problem but more of something to be keen on. Use the hole axis feature to get proper geo for those holes. You can also create curves around odd shapes and then project them to have 2d geo, do that quite often myself.

I have a solid with  a wavy top surface that would be difficult to get a 2d flat chain from to simply contour the outer profile.

How about the bottom of the hole? It should be a circle, no?

I would never trust silhouette boundary for machinable geometry. A containment boundary? Yes. Something that matters? No.

create >> curve slice....at several z levels if necessary...

Xform >> project to set all geometry flat and then clean it up

I'm betting though create curves on edges and xform project could get it done sight unseen