Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2017 and SolidWorks import question

rsbeadle

Good afternoon guys.

I am trying to talk the company I work for into updating our maintenance that expired last July. We are importing parts from SolidWorks into MasterCam, but we have to check the "import SolidWorks history" box or we get the "cannot find parasolid data" error (X9 update 2, we can't get update 3). As you probably know, it takes a while for the file to load and we usually end up with a "brick" anyway. I would like to know if 2017 beta versions are pulling in Solidworks 2016 files without any major issues. Also can we get sketch text to come in with the part file if we don't import the history? That would save us a lot of time waiting for the history to try to load. Only way we can do it now is convert to step or parasolid for the body and then make a DWG/DXF to get the text or wait for the history to load.

I know this is an old question. If it has been fixed in the new version it will give me some ammunition to go to the owner for the maintenance update.

Thanks,

Mastercam 2017 will indeed support import of SolidWorks 2016 parts and assemblies ...and an option has been added allowing import of sketch geometry that is not associated to any bodies.

Mastercam X9 Update 3 would also give you import of SolidWorks 2016 documents.

cool

I'll check that out..

Any chance importing SW files will ever be able to respect SW coordinate systems

I currently export X_B out of SW so that I can control the orientation of the resulting file in Mastercam

It would be sweet to be able to do this with SW files