Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File size vs save time

mikenaturalice

So I have a question about saving a large'ish file (14,184kb). I get about a 15-20 second difference between saving the file in question with all levels visible, and with only a few solids (etc) visible. Seems that would be graphics card related, but my question is why? Maybe has to do with generating a file preview or something? I have not done any investigation into the possibility of maybe it is just one particular level causing a problem, but my question would be the same - I am saving the file information, so how is that related to what is visible on screen?

I am wondering if maybe it would help when working on large files to have all but what level you are working with when programming? I will definitely try it next time an issue comes up, but if someone has the answer please educate me.

thanks, Mike

For some reason files do save much more quickly if you turn shading off.

I think Mastercam re-tessellates the geometric shapes after saving. When saving while wireframed, it is faster, but turning back to shaded there is a slight delay. And vice versa.

Do you notice the same?

For some reason files do save much more quickly if you turn shading off.

Mine does save faster with all levels on but shading off. Not as fast as if I only have one level turned on however. Sorry should have mentioned system specs before.

Using X9, Nvidia Quadro K2000, quad core I7-4770 @3.4GHz, 32GB ram, Windows 7 professional. I got this pc a couple years ago, maybe it is time for an upgrade? I think I have an ssd, but not sure. The hard drive is only 238gb so i think it is an ssd, is there a way to check? Saving and working on my desktop.