Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any way to recognize lead-out? (lathe)

Here's an example (comments removed):

T909
G55
G96S220M3
G0Z5M8 
G0X70Z-82.85 
G1X33.2F0.2
U2W1 
G0Z-30.85
G1X23.2
U2W1 
G0Z-27.486 
X22.828
G1G42X20.Z-28.9F.2 
Z-29.4 
G2X20.876Z-30.5R1.6
X23.2Z-31.R1.6 
G1X29.517
G3X29.659Z-31.029R.1 
G1X29.941Z-31.171
G3X30.Z-31.241R.1F0.08 
G1U0.2W-1F0.2
G1G40X32.828Z-29.827 
G0Z-79.986 
G1G42X30.Z-81.4
G2X30.876Z-82.5R1.6
X33.2Z-83.R1.6 
G1X66.987
G3X67.18Z-83.074R.1F0.08 
G1X69.813Z-87.987F0.2
G1U0.5W-1
G0G40X300Z10M9 
M1 

Using incremental values ensures that the lead out is always the same, if/when a need arises to edit the code, less margin for error or too long a lead-out. And it is also easier to spot (the line "G1G40X32.828Z-29.827" is mastercam-generated lead-out)

No problem. It's just more convenient when modifying programs at the machine. I always use U2W1 or similar as a lead-out when typing programs by hand and would like Matercam to honor this tradition.

Hum I guess that is where I think differently. My job is to give customers program to run. Anything done at the machine should be reported back to the programmer. If you are the programmer running your own program then you should develop a good enough process that adjustments at the machine are not needed IMHO. Not trying to be disrespectful or say something mean, but your program should be pretty decent once it gets to the machine. Having that process nailed down especially on a lathe should be pretty straight forward.

If you want this for your process then I would think you could force the post to always do this kind of thing or you could use a mi or mr trigger to do it then it would only do it when you want it. Problem is you need all types of logic to support the process. You need OD and ID then Close shape open shapes. Many other things to consider and test to say what will be safe and good and what will not be. Writing code by hand you think of these things as you are making your programs, but the logic you don't think about has to be thought about for the post to take all possible scenarios into account. That is why for me to give a good response, because yes even though it is a lathe there are a lot of things to consider to have the post think about or problems it much solve or you must make logic for it to solve to have it work safely.

My job is to prepare and set up the machine, write and proof-run the program, deburr the workpieces and give them to the customer. So my process is, write the program, run it and improve it after each iteration until it runs perfectly with as little need for deburring as possible. Those improvements and fine-tunings happen at the machine. Sharp chamfer? Need some radius. Chatter? Have to change feeds/speeds. Taper? Need to compensate for. Saying that edits at the machine are not needed is IMO pure fantasy in a job-shop environment where you have to deal with crappy machines with crooked turrets and misaligned tailstocks and use the sparse tools and inserts that are available.

However, if I someday get promoted to a programmer-only position, my opinions may change ;)

You can easily get lead-in/out values reading lathe tooolpath entry parameters (11001-11002/11011-11012) but i guess the difficult part will be to implement logic to identify first/last toolpath motion (and manage others cases: lead-in/out arcs, extents, no entry set...). So you'll need to read other parameters. To implement logic, toolpath flags should be helpful(cur_cflg$, cstart$, cend$)

The "contour flags" are set automatically by MP to indicate that you are processing Lead In/Out, or "cut motion".

The 'cur_cflag$' variable gets broken down internally by MP, and the information is used to set 'cutpos$' and 'cutpos2$'. One of those "cut position" variables should have the data you need.

A setting of '1' or '2' indicates Lead In. A setting of '3' is "in the cut", and '4' or '5' indicates Lead Out.