Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

contouring a tapered shape

Hello guys,

I mainly use MC in 2D. But I have this part to make with tapered walls and a radioused top. I have made something similar in the past but have since lost the file and can't remember how I did it. It was so long ago.

I've been trying to toolpath this thing for a while now and have come to the conclusion that I really need some help...I was going to simply contour ramp down with a 1.25'' fly cutter. HELP PLEASE

I have X5 router level 1 , Material is 304 S/S

4001.MCX-5

Thank's

Claude

• Like 1

Good morning all.

Well, try as I may, I can't get a tool path to work on this thing..I looked up all the vid's I could on YouTube on the subject. ARGH!!

What am I doing or not doing correctly??! This tool path won't accept splines. The whole part is made of splines...This should be an easy job.

you can do everything except the .1 blend between the top and .3 rad corners with wireframe -> ruled, including the .3 rad corners. assuming ruled is available in level one. the .1 blend between the top and .3 rads is a coons or surface path, but if you can mill the material, you can also file it. :yes

Ruled is available. I shall give it a whirl. Yes I could file the rad, but it needs to be more precise than my filing skills can produce : - )      I guess it's time to get an upgrade quote for level 2....

I am going to be doing more of this type of operation this winter.

I shall report on my tribulations later.

Thanks a bunch  Sir!

Got my quote back from my vendor...Yikes!! Can't justify that much expenditure unless I get more of these or similar.

Meenwhile I found that lost file of a similar job from way back.

With my Router level 1    2D contour-depth cuts-tapered walls-finish with 2D champfer with a corner rounding mill with ground tip. Problem solved!!

Any body got a better solution?