Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Other Forum Posting

McRae

This is one of the most common postings that I get as a member of the ProE Forum

quote:

Manufacturing Guys,

Would anyone out there have a post processor that I could try that might

work on the following machines?

1. Hurco Ultamax 3 Control with a 4th Axis

2. Okuma MacTurn 250W with up to 7 Axis control

Looking for ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

Here is the thing though - The Pro/Man forum is run by the users for the users...

The stark contrast here is that emastercam is run by a distributor of software that has a significant portion of their revenue stream thru the creation and selling of post processors. This is the sensitivity of the issue, not that there are a bunch of horrific people here.

I for one am putting out the AFTerburner. That guy is expecting the same thing that I see in pro/man I think. And the other constrast between the user forums is the elegance and nature of the postings. Here there are acid words - there the posts are polite, to the point and never an Off Topic Conversation.

Andrew, I KNOW you have to be bullsh!tting here.

Please tell me you are.

I like you a lot but please spare me the 'Why can't we just get along' crap. You of all people have been known to unload on others from time to time when you feel that it is justified and I don't have a problem with that. I also don't get as fired up about some things that newer members tend to post as some of the other guys; but PLEASE don't go touchie-feelie on us.

C

Chris

I should have known you would be first to respond. This is

not touchy feely, only an observation that AFT may be expecting something that is similar to other user groups.

I wouldn't and don't give any of my stuff for nothing - paid a great deal of cash for what I have actually (and consider these to be part of my competitive advantage in the market place), but there are some simple posts that are easily transferrable. I just smiled and thought of here when I saw the Macturn 7ax post request though.

[ 01-15-2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: McRae ]

Anyone who has lurked on this forum for at least a couple of days knows how this forum operates. Aft has been a member for a while. Compared to the Pro/E forum, this place must seem like hell rolleyes.gif

/Bullines sharpens his pitchfork, hides all of the SP40 sunscreen and stokes the fire that James, Rekd, etal are using to roast marshmallows.

[ 01-15-2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Bullines ]

Hey - aren't you supposed to be retired?

quote:

emastercam is run by a distributor of software that has a significant portion of their revenue stream thru the creation and selling of post processors. This is the sensitivity of the issue

I actually think that the Members in general are more sensitive to post requests messages than we are. They invest a lot of time in the fine tuning of posts, and want to protect that. Post processors account for an *insignificant* portion of our sales.

I'm a bit surprised that Pro/E users are sharing posts. Don't they pay for runtime post licenses (e.g. the equivalent of Mp.dll in Mastercam), and the ability to write your own posts (e.g. the equivalent of any text editor in Mastercam)?

[ 01-15-2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

quote:

Post processors account for an *insignificant* portion of our sales.

I will remember that next time I need a post mod.

I checked thru some old P/O's and see that I have spent an Insignificant amount in the past... wink.gif

I am retired, just reading a little and keeping up with the market place - The 7ax post made me pine for the old days when trashing for help was the norm.

Pro/E posts are fun, you can choose any third party developer that you want to work with. ICAM, AustinNC, SolidTech, and on and on...

quote:

Pro/E posts are fun, you can choose any third party developer that you want to work with. ICAM, AustinNC, SolidTech, and on and on...

ICAM, AustinNC (Intercim), IMSpost, etc. all have the ability to work with Mastercam. Anyone who is looking for a 3-Axis Haas post that costs as much as a seat of Mill Level 1 should check them out.

[To start to be be fair, I should mention that the prices of these products gets more attractive as the number of machines you are posting to increases.]

[ 01-15-2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

quote:

I actually think that the Members in general are more sensitive to post requests messages than we are.

I have to agree with you here Dave.

One reason I believe this is true for the fact of a newbie coming here and blatently asking for a freebee.

Anyone who has ran mcam for a little while will understand how flexible a post can be,but also should know that it takes good skill to dial one in,(and maybe some $$)and therefore should be very careful as of asking for one.

I know for a fact that because I participate here and have spent some time getting to know others here,if I needed a post I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone.

The only difference is that I would privatly E mail them for the request. wink.gif

But prior to even doing this,I would ask for help to do it myself as I have in the past.

How many pirates are hanging out on the ProE thread?? How do you feel about sharing your ProE posts and hard work with a thief??

I think it was pirates who got the blowtorch going in the first place. Nothing pisses me of worse than some lowlife thief showing up looking for a free post to go with his stolen Mastercam mad.gif

I thought the bonking aft got was uncalled for once his dealer made it clear he was a legit user.

gcode teh puttin' on his flamesuit biggrin.gif

[ 01-15-2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Back in th' day,when I was using pro/e & pro/man (And my seat of V4.11 MC) We bought the icam stuff. I hed already been writing MC posts and had all the machines jam up. I didget to go to Quebec for about a week, and thats when I learned that most Canadians are not like Bob & Doug Mckensi.

Icam or any other post generator is great for standard type code, but not so great for custom stuff or logic driven post blocks. (They are good for start of file, tool changes and end of file mods.)

If a user will learn mpfan, mpmaster,mpgen5ax and mplfan then they can make any machine work.

I have put MP_STRP.zip on ftp uder text & post folder. This post has been stripped of everything but a hand full of post blocks and is very good for those venturing into posts for the first time. (It is also the one I start with when doing a custom post. Custom post <> modified post.)

Maybe I should rename to mp_starter.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I always start with Dave's MIGHTY MPMaster, and modify from there. It's got all the goodies I want to start with then I tweek away. I used to start with MPFAN/MPLFAN but after MPMaster came out I never looked anywhere else.

Most of my posts I will give away to Resellers and legit users but a couple that I put in like 80 hours on, those don't go for free, well 'cept if my local reseller wants it then he get's it for free but for everybody else

quote:

Pay up sucker!

biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif

My whole thing is I don't want to help a pirate get code to his machine. I want him to spend hours cutting and pasting because for the most part, once a pirate always a priate and the only possibility of legitimacy is the hope that they get caught and have to pony up.

JM2C