Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zbuilder

We have been printing from Mastercam for years to make setup sheets. Around the part, that also has toolpaths, we add any notes that the setup person may need. We print in monochrome because greens, yellows, etc cannot be seen easily on white paper and also because of the costs of color laser toner. So to print it where the surfaces & solids would not be too dark, we have to select all the surfaces and or solids to highlight them. When printed, they turn out a light gray and all details can be seen. The problem in MC 2017 is this has been changed. The printing is too dark even when surfaces & solids are selected/highlighted. Please Please Please change it back the way it was. Attached is a pic of selected/highlighted surfaces from X9. Works great but not in MC2017

post-16152-0-92585300-1476471468_thumb.jpg

Printing in 2017 is pretty hosed up....

You can't print just showing outline, you continue to get hidden lines no matter the setting...this is an issue, been confirmed by CNC, no, it will not be fixed in Update 1....

I am NOT happy about that

We don't want, for reasons stated in my original post, to print in color. Many of our graphics do not have solid or surfaced fixturing. It's unnecessary. It's more time consuming to make solid models of custom "whatevers" than it is to just snap some parallel lines down. We do what Hollywood does... only build what is necessary to get the job done. No time for pretty pictures in a fast paced production environment. I can send you a few more pics of different setup sheets if you'd like to see more of our requirements. But if you still have X9 installed, you can try printing yourself to see what I mean.

We don't want, for reasons stated in my original post, to print in color. Many of our graphics do not have solid or surfaced fixturing. It's unnecessary. It's more time consuming to make solid models of custom "whatevers" than it is to just snap some parallel lines down. We do what Hollywood does... only build what is necessary to get the job done. No time for pretty pictures in a fast paced production environment. I can send you a few more pics of different setup sheets if you'd like to see more of our requirements. But if you still have X9 installed, you can try printing yourself to see what I mean.

Well when you are making your own programs and no one has to read your brain you are allow a lot of room for what gets the job done, when you must define every step of the way and make clear work instructions that anyone a 1000 miles away can understand then you approach it differently. Sorry you are having so many issues, but don't have X9 installed on my Laptop. I do what I must to ear a living as you do what you must. We are different and what pays the bills for some doesn't for others. It has become a heated conversation over in the official forum so might login over there and add your name of those who is not very happy with what you are getting.

But that's just it.. Many Mastercams previous to 2017 WAS doing exactly what I stated and worked perfectly for us and who knows how many others. There was a choice before, either color or legible grayscale. It worked for you and it worked for me. Now it doesn't. It only works for you and those that do it similar as you and I'm glad for you, but not for us and others that used it like us. Why they removed something that worked great in the past is dumbfounded. I just hope there are enough of us making a sensible & mature issue about this that CNC Software listens. Just my hope.

But that's just it.. Many Mastercams previous to 2017 WAS doing exactly what I stated and worked perfectly for us and who knows how many others. There was a choice before, either color or legible grayscale. It worked for you and it worked for me. Now it doesn't. It only works for you and those that do it similar as you and I'm glad for you, but not for us and others that used it like us. Why they removed something that worked great in the past is dumbfounded. I just hope there are enough of us making a sensible & mature issue about this that CNC Software listens. Just my hope.

You have a very valid point no doubt. Hardest part about developing software is knowing what everyone who uses it is doing and then trying to keep all those abilities working correctly for all those using each and every one of them.

I remember an error checking project for one aspect of creating one items I think the developers came back and said it would be over 1,000,000 possible ways a user could do it wrong. You could Spend several Millions dollars figuring all of that out for something that represented the error statement for each possible way the user did it wrong or you could give a general error statement. Guess what got put in that software?

I have many emails to QC about issues I run into and conversations about them. That is how I go about communicating my issues. I also let the local dealer know when they are what I consider show stoppers. Communication is the key and this forum is not what it use to be for communicating those issues. Wish it was, but it is not.

I wonder if the new 2017 interface, being similar to the new Microsoft Office look, means they are using Microsoft .Net or other MS programming language subroutines & dll's and maybe that is causing the printing limitations at this time.

We have 12 seats of Mastercam. If 1 or 2 of us signed up as beta testers, is that enough to have a voice for any changes ?

I wonder if the new 2017 interface, being similar to the new Microsoft Office look, means they are using Microsoft .Net or other MS programming language subroutines & dll's and maybe that is causing the printing limitations at this time.

We have 12 seats of Mastercam. If 1 or 2 of us signed up as beta testers, is that enough to have a voice for any changes ?

Yes with that many seats it should help make a difference.

We have 12 seats of Mastercam. If 1 or 2 of us signed up as beta testers, is that enough to have a voice for any changes ?

Mastercam was one of the first CAx software to move to .NET technology. CNC uses it since X1 and dot net framework 1.x

Jm2C