Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d contour - centerline programmed with cutter comp

Brian Pallas

Hi,

On X7, is there a way to get cutter comp output if I use geometry for the centerline of the tool?  

What I do is use the contour toolpath to get stepovers and depths like I want, then I save the geometry from backplot, and redo my toolpaths cutting back and forth with no retracts to get rid of all the up and over moves, and keep the tool down. 

How are you going to use a cutter comp when you're switching back and forth between which side of the cutter you're using?

G41 Climb cutting, tool center left of edge

G42 Conventional Cutting Tool center Right of cutting edge

So on this particular part today, I am cutting back and forth roughing with one toolpath.  Then up and position and a rough and a finish on a boss with a seperate toolpath, stepping over .010 on the depth and dia for the finish pass. So for the boss I want to use cutter comp.  I can just offset the geometry and use wear comp like normal, easy enough.  Was just having one of those moments where I go "I wonder if there is a way to get this to work with the cutter comp actually set to off"  I assuming not, but curious.

So on this particular part today, I am cutting back and forth roughing with one toolpath.  Then up and position and a rough and a finish on a boss with a seperate toolpath, stepping over .010 on the depth and dia for the finish pass. So for the boss I want to use cutter comp.  I can just offset the geometry and use wear comp like normal, easy enough.  Was just having one of those moments where I go "I wonder if there is a way to get this to work with the cutter comp actually set to off"  I assuming not, but curious.

hey brian, I have a thought although to me it sounds like there may even be other ways to accomplish what you are after but none the less; when you currently hit save geometry in backplot it will place geometry on centerline (which is what I think causes some of these troubles) unless you make a few changes.

You can set that contour to Control Comp, then before hitting the save toolpath geometry in backplot first go into the backplot options "! button" and turn off the simulate Control Comp, Now when you hit the save backplot geometry button you get the toolpath geometry on edge of tool instead of Centerline of tool. Just a thought but I hope it helps

Sounds like a lot of extra work IMHO. Have you tried dynamic set to zig zag? It will climb and conventional cut to reduce air moves. Then finish it off with a good ol' fashion 2d contour.

Edit: just noticed you mentioned you are on X7.. not sure if this applies to that version.

JoshC - I hadn't thought about that.  That would eliminate a few steps.  Thanks!  

Also, if you have time, what would you do to accomplish the same thing?  I'm by no means locked into doing it like this, or think it's the best way, just kinda how I developed to turn a program into a production program.  It is pretty much all Aluminum parts, and not a ton of metal coming off.  Generally just want to blast through it  :)  Getting rid of those up and overs cuts a decent chunk of cycle time out.

BCW - I had not noticed that option before.  I will have to check it out, Thanks!

Brian, can you attach a sample of what you do so we

JoshC - I hadn't thought about that.  That would eliminate a few steps.  Thanks!  

Also, if you have time, what would you do to accomplish the same thing?  I'm by no means locked into doing it like this, or think it's the best way, just kinda how I developed to turn a program into a production program.  It is pretty much all Aluminum parts, and not a ton of metal coming off.  Generally just want to blast through it  :)  Getting rid of those up and overs cuts a decent chunk of cycle time out.

BCW - I had not noticed that option before.  I will have to check it out, Thanks!

if you attach a generic sample of something you do (does not have to be a customer file just a sample file is fine) and I can see if I can get the same results without saving additional geometry. Without seeing your part I cant promise that there is an easier way but most of Mastercam's toolpaths allow us to toolpath efficiently right off the model without needing to create centerline geometry so I am thinking there would be an easier way to accomplish your goals but without seeing a sample I don't really have any suggestions at this point to offer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5wdi94o7cc2hp8/OP%202%20SOLIDS%20-%20MORI%20-%20560292-3%20BAR%20CLAMP.MCX-7?dl=0

Here is a dropbox link.  It should be just the solids for the part I am working on today.  The orange is the finished part. Made out of 3/4" x 3" stock.  There is .060" on the face.  If you want to play with it sometime, I would be interested to see how you approach it.  

Or anybody else that wants to also, feel free to have at it :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5wdi94o7cc2hp8/OP%202%20SOLIDS%20-%20MORI%20-%20560292-3%20BAR%20CLAMP.MCX-7?dl=0

Here is a dropbox link.  It should be just the solids for the part I am working on today.  The orange is the finished part. Made out of 3/4" x 3" stock.  There is .060" on the face.  If you want to play with it sometime, I would be interested to see how you approach it.  

Or anybody else that wants to also, feel free to have at it :)

Which face are you cutting? The nose of the round pilot?

Have you ever played with 2D Contour Ramp and set it to Plunge? This will zig-zag back and forth.