Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam 9 toolplane problems

sharles

We finally moved up to X9 earlier this year, but we've started having issues with the toolplanes we create not staying 'anchored' to our WCS. When we go to post programs we are finding that the toolplanes have somehow moved back to the mastercam homes instead of the WCS homes where we anchored them at the time we created them. I talked to our reseller and he said he wasn't aware of a glitch, but it's happening too often to not be one. He mentioned the 'associative' parameter within the plane manager as  a possible solution. In X6 I always wanted my workplanes to be associative so that if I had to adjust them after creation to get a better angle on the part, the toolpaths would automatically update to the adjustment.

Anyone else having this issue and do I just need to turn off the 'associative' button in the manager even if it means I have to recreate the toolplane if I have to adjust it?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, I have always used planes for years and I have done parts with over 500 operations and maybe 100 different planes and not seen what you are seeing. Something else has to be going on here. What type of geometry are using to be associative? Gcode taught me years ago to use a point and I have pretty much stuck to that method since with no issues.

I work with Scott and this happened to me this morning, I had done a 5-Axis pocket that had about half a dozen programs. If I understand you correctly Ron about using a point is something I have started doing because of this "switching of axis" I created a point at my 3-axis WCS and used the create  planes by geometry using the flat in the bottom of my pocket, then anchored it to the point at my 3-axis WCS. In verify everything looked good. Well the CNC supervisor brought me my setup sheets and said the first 2 programs had negative Z dimensions that would go thru the part and table had they not caught it, as well as very large X dimensions way off the part, yet the other 4 programs all looked good. I opened the part and checked my settings and everything else I could think of, re verified it and it still looked good, so without making any changes of any kind I just reprocessed the 2 programs and posted them and they were correct. with all these bugs we have found since switching to X9 it has gotten very nerve racking wondering whats going to happen next that we don't catch. And since there is a new version out I don't believe MC will make any fixes for these issues, and just from reading stuff about the new one it seems it has its own set of issues, so who knows what to do.  

Ron,

I created a series of 'generic' workplane (toolplanes) files that we read in any time we are doing fixed angle, 5 axis work. I just created little rectangles at 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees for the B axis and rotated them every 45 degrees around X0,Y0. So I'm only using the lines of those rectangles and the 'planes by geometry' function when I create my toolplanes. I have NEVER had this happen before this version. I select the line in X and then line in Y of the toolplane I want and then I always anchor it to my WCS and until this version that was all I had to do. Now I have to watch my toolplanes to make sure they don't say X0,Y0,Z0 in the planes manager which tells me they moved from my WCS to mastercam homes...

I believe you are seeing issue not what I meant by the posting, just odd the things you are seeing is all. I have seen my share of odd things in software no doubt, but I have to think the adding of Automatic Work offsets to 2017 will trip up more people than it will help. 3 Axis stuff you should be able to use your WCS and done, but make sure you have set your work offsets in the Plane Manager for the Planes you are using. Remember it will look pretty in Back plot and Verify, but if the WCS is wrong or it is calling the wrong offset you would never know unless run through a G-code Verification program.

Ron,

I created a series of 'generic' workplane (toolplanes) files that we read in any time we are doing fixed angle, 5 axis work. I just created little rectangles at 15, 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees for the B axis and rotated them every 45 degrees around X0,Y0. So I'm only using the lines of those rectangles and the 'planes by geometry' function when I create my toolplanes. I have NEVER had this happen before this version. I select the line in X and then line in Y of the toolplane I want and then I always anchor it to my WCS and until this version that was all I had to do. Now I have to watch my toolplanes to make sure they don't say X0,Y0,Z0 in the planes manager which tells me they moved from my WCS to mastercam homes...

Are you using base planes for some of the operations and then created planes for others? This might be your issue as the base planes are no longer editable. If you have a front plane operation that needs to be shifted a value you cannot use the Standard front plane anymore. You must duplicate the plane and then use that plane in the new position.

Okay then I would make a sample file and see if you can mimic the same issues. If you can then I would make a Z2G and send it to QC and let them dig into it. What you guys are seeing would bother me also if I was seeing it. Yes it is X9, but still good to document a problem and make people aware of it. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to struggle moving forward with what you are seeing if it is still present.