Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

trouble converting suface to solid

Tim Pruett

Where to begin,

I need help converting solid models to surfaces and then converting back to solid. Every time I need to do this with a model it always screws something up.

This has been an ongoing problem for me, for years. I just want to see if I'm doing something wrong. I will definitely try any suggestions. The first image is the original solid, the second is after converting to surfaces. (doesn't look to bad) The last one is converted back to solid. ( looks terrible). Pleas help,.

Thanks,  Tim

post-11989-0-69543600-1479903855_thumb.gifpost-11989-0-15143600-1479903864_thumb.gifpost-11989-0-55318200-1479903872_thumb.gif

I'm designing plastic injection molds using mastercam, and most of the time the partfiles I get from the customer have to be extensively modified to be able to "mold" them. Sometimes I can make these changes using solid functions and sometimes I have to convert them to surfaces, make the change, and then convert back to solids and continue with the design process.

So is there anything I can do besides playing with the tolerance to help convert from surfaces to solids?

I just want to set everything to convert the surfaces as good as I can get them. I know mastercam is not a "cad" package, but you think it would do a better job than what I'm getting.

Is 2017 any better?