Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Vector terminology

I'm trying to understand the rotational vector terminology: vecx, -vecx, vecy, -vecy, vecz, -vecz

I have a head/head router, the primary axis is "C", its secondary axis is "A". By the left hand rule, the C origin is at +Y; and the A origin is at +Z. This should be set in the post like this:

rotaxis1$=vecy

rotaxis2$=vecz

Correct?

Now, since vecy determines my C origin & the only perpendicular vector left for C is vecx, my direction vector, for C, must be set in the post like this:

rotdir1$=vecx

And since the only perpendicular vector left for A, after setting the origin to vecx, is vecy. Then my A direction vector must be set in the post like this:

rotdir2$=vecy

Is this right, or am I completely off track?

You're correct, except that 'rotaxis1$' can be signed negative. 'vecy' and '-vecy' are equally valid, depending on which way the A Axis positive direction rotates.

For the secondary direction, you are also correct. But it can be signed negative as well. So 'vecy and -vecy' will work for the positive direction.

I usually test my post by creating a 3" Wireframe Cube, centered at XYZ Zero. Then drive each top line segment with a Contour, using the standard "horizontal planes". Front, Right, Back, and Left. If your machine's A Axis is configured as above, you should get the following:

C0 A90

C90 A90

C180 A90

C270 A90

You're correct, except that 'rotaxis1$' can be signed negative. 'vecy' and '-vecy' are equally valid, depending on which way the A Axis positive direction rotates.

For the secondary direction, you are also correct. But it can be signed negative as well. So 'vecy and -vecy' will work for the positive direction.

I usually test my post by creating a 3" Wireframe Cube, centered at XYZ Zero. Then drive each top line segment with a Contour, using the standard "horizontal planes". Front, Right, Back, and Left. If your machine's A Axis is configured as above, you should get the following:

C0 A90

C90 A90

C180 A90

C270 A90

Thanks Colin, that helped a lot. I had to change rotaxis1$ to -vecy.

The way the secondary rotates though my output, using your suggested cube was:

C0 A-90

C90 A-90

C180 A-90

C-90 A-90

So I changed rotdir2$ to -vecy and got

C0 A90

C90 A90

C180 A90

C-90 A90

If my mechanical rotational limits are set like this:

#Rotary axis travel limits, always in terms of normal angle output#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on primarypri_limlo$   : -245pri_limhi$   : 245#Set intermediate angle, in limits, for post to reposition machinepri_intlo$   : -245pri_inthi$   : 245#Set the absolute angles for axis travel on secondarysec_limlo$   : -120sec_limhi$   : 120#Set intermediate angle, in limits, for post to reposition machinesec_intlo$   : -120sec_inthi$   : 120

What are these setting supposed to be set at

#Tolerance settings for wind upp_tol_ang    : 245   #Primary angle move to exceed for direction changes_tol_ang    : 120   #Secondary angle move to exceed for direction changed_tol_ang    : 210   #Dummy angle move to exceed for direction change#pri_limtyp = 1, tolerance to validate tripping limit#                reset the p_frc_adj_sec flag when back to normal range#pri_limtyp = 2, angle move >= to trigger reposition on primary and# angle move >= with rev5 or 180 reposition to validate tripping limitp_rsoft_tol  : 235#sec_limtyp = 2, Angle move >= for reposition s_soft_tol   : 110adj_lim_trp  : 90    #Angle move in p_pri_rot180 to trip reposition#pri_limtyp = 3 and sec_limtyp = 3 control valuesp_rsoft_tol3 : 90    #Angle move >= with rev5 or 180 reposition

I'm unable to decipher their meaning from the descriptions

You should not have the limits the same as the travels. There should be some difference between them. Having them the same is going to create issues for the logic in the post. I was told years ago to make them different values even if that is .01 of a degree that is better than having them the same. Been 15 years ago since I really had to mess with them so my memory is a little foggy about it.

• Like 1

You should not have the limits the same as the travels. There should be some difference between them. Having them the same is going to create issues for the logic in the post. I was told years ago to make them different values even if that is .01 of a degree that is better than having them the same. Been 15 years ago since I really had to mess with them so my memory is a little foggy about it.

Thanks Ron, I'll change that.