Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Linking parameters (top of stock)

Hello to all,

I am new to mastercam and my current version is mastercam 2017

I am little confused about the parameters for (top of stock) it is possible that I did not copy them correctly in class as professor was explaining to us.

Lets say we have 4 operations:

1. Facing  2. Spot drilling  3. Drilling  4. Contour

In the 1st operation for facing - top of stock in linking parameters is set to .01 and depth 0.0  .  I understand this as stock is raised by .01 in +Z direction and facing tool will go down to z0 and will clean .01 from stock.  Is this correct?

in the 2nd operation for spot drilling - top of stock is 0.0 and depth -.135    (I said great I understand this top of stock 0.0 because the 1st facing operation removed .01 and stock is now lower by that amount)  Is this correct?

In the 3rd operation confusion started - top of stock is .01 and depth is -.5   (why is stock still .01 above 0 if facing removed 0.01 in the first operation?)

in the 4th operation- top of stock is .01 and depth is -.125

Now I am totally confused - do I  have to keep track of how much stock is removed in first operation then adjust the "top of the stock" parameter for second operation to be less by the amount of stock removed in the first operation and continue to do the same adjustments if any stuck was removed in second operation for all other operations, or mastercam will do this automatically for me?   

Is there a way to measure machined part in simulation mode to see if the completed part is of correct dimensions?

Thank you all in advance!

• Like 2

Hello to all,

I am new to mastercam and my current version is mastercam 2017

I am little confused about the parameters for (top of stock) it is possible that I did not copy them correctly in class as professor was explaining to us.

Lets say we have 4 operations:

1. Facing  2. Spot drilling  3. Drilling  4. Contour

In the 1st operation for facing - top of stock in linking parameters is set to .01 and depth 0.0  .  I understand this as stock is raised by .01 in +Z direction and facing tool will go down to z0 and will clean .01 from stock.  Is this correct?

in the 2nd operation for spot drilling - top of stock is 0.0 and depth -.135    (I said great I understand this top of stock 0.0 because the 1st facing operation removed .01 and stock is now lower by that amount)  Is this correct?

In the 3rd operation confusion started - top of stock is .01 and depth is -.5   (why is stock still .01 above 0 if facing removed 0.01 in the first operation?)

in the 4th operation- top of stock is .01 and depth is -.125

Now I am totally confused - do I  have to keep track of how much stock is removed in first operation then adjust the "top of the stock" parameter for second operation to be less by the amount of stock removed in the first operation and continue to do the same adjustments if any stuck was removed in second operation for all other operations, or mastercam will do this automatically for me?   

Is there a way to measure machined part in simulation mode to see if the completed part is of correct dimensions?

Thank you all in advance!

Top of stock will affect your depth cuts... so if you have top of stock .010 you can check depth cuts and set a finish pass of .005 if you want

Top of stock on the 3rd and 4th ops should be 0.0 or a negative value if lacking z0.0 material. This is because you established the top of stock 0.0 with the facing operation. With top of stock at .01 will just effect the depth of cut amount of the first tool engagment in material, as stated above. Not the end of the world, but proper procedures can only aid in one's proper end product.