Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5ax drill for spot drill multi size/depth holes

jlw™

I have been grouping 5ax drill holes by size/depth because I haven't figured out a method to set the point/line geo so that I can get my depth right for drilling, especially spot drilling.  Is there a trick or you just have to break them up?  I'd love to see the spot drill start in one spot and hit them all.

Break them up is what I have done since V9 days.  Yes 2001 where I 1st got introduced to Hole Axis from Verisurf. Put a point on the top and bottom of the hole. The top point acts as your spot drill point and the bottom as our drill depth point. We did a part with over 500 holes 60 different sizes and 400 different angles. Verisurf Auto Hole Axis was the best way we found to go about it on a part of that nature. 

Mastercam is looking into adding an option to create a point at the top of the hole, and a line above the hole.  This functionality would be specifically for spot drilling and spot facing operations.  No time frame that I am aware of.

for now you can use this process:

1. use hole axis to create a point at the top of the hole

2. then use hole axis to create a line that extends above the hole

3. next use "Break at Points" to break all the lines at the points at the top of the hole.

4. use "All Result" or "All Group" to select entities you want to delete

5. finally delete the unwanted portion of the line

it's a bit of work but I just worked on a part with ~686 holes and it only took a few minutes but the layout of the part made it pretty easy.

HTH

33 minutes ago, Roger Peterson said:

Mastercam is looking into adding an option to create a point at the top of the hole, and a line above the hole.  This functionality would be specifically for spot drilling and spot facing operations.  No time frame that I am aware of.

for now you can use this process:

1. use hole axis to create a point at the top of the hole

2. then use hole axis to create a line that extends above the hole

3. next use "Break at Points" to break all the lines at the points at the top of the hole.

4. use "All Result" or "All Group" to select entities you want to delete

5. finally delete the unwanted portion of the line

it's a bit of work but I just worked on a part with ~686 holes and it only took a few minutes but the layout of the part made it pretty easy.

HTH

Roger, Verisurf Auto hole Axis and you get a report of all the holes and their different sizes in less than one minute.

You're both right on.  As Ron said, I've been breaking them up... and setting planes.  I can get the exact motion I want by setting planes and not forcing toolchange but it's A LOT of work.  When using 5ax drill I will use multiple levels and hole axis for drill as well as hole axis for spot and do the same for dia and depth variation.  It just turns into a lot of geo creation IMO.  For a 3ax, I would select all points, set incremental and let that dog eat.

When I use create planes, I do the same as 3 axis but no force toolchange.  For 5ax, I do as Roger said except I only do hole axis once, lines and points at the same time then break the line at the point and then delete all the waste geo.  I then do it all over with the line for the actual drill.

Click-click-clickity-click.  My click fanger be strong.

• Like 1

Well that is not what I mean by breaking them up. I will break up the 5 Axis drilling operations into different operations based on their diameters. I will have one line and 2 points per hole.  One at the top for spotting and bottom of the hole to control depth you have everything you need. The Verisurf Auto Hole Axis does all of this in a few simple clicks. Why do extra work when you don't need to? The Mastercam hole axis will create a line only the length of the feature and it will not leave the point where the top of the hole is. You can get some things to work by going through a bunch of extra steps you both are talking about, but my finger and mouse likes the easier and quicker method. Funny a Metrology add-on makes a 5 Axis Programmer job easier, but Ernie the owner was a CNC programmer at one time so he likes helping out the Manufacturing community and I for one appreciate it.

#1 Go to VS-Tools and Click on the Auto-Hole Axis

#2 Click Select All Holes.

#3 Check Axis Vectors for output and Set Position of Axis Vector to Bottom

#4 Check Points and check T for top of holes B for bottom of holes.

#5 Click on Statistics and get your nice report of all holes.

#6 Click on your 5 Axis Drill Toolpath and then decide how you want to process your part.

#7 Have a nice day and your left mouse and your pointer finger will thank you for using this process.

As a Test you do it your way and I will do it my way and see which one is faster and requires less clicks.

• Like 1

I stand corrected as what I said above will produce the desired CAD results, but in 2017 maybe earlier if the line does not end at the point the 5 Axis drilling operations will not respect the line. You either break each line at each point or use the auto hole axis to produce 2 sets of lines and points on different levels. Still think Auto Hole Axis is faster for those who read this thread and are looking for a quick way to get points and lines for5 Axis Drilling on a lot of holes. :unsure::unsure: