Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bridgeport Servo retro-fit problem

Stephen

Upgrading computer technology can be a pain! I just put Windows XP Pro on a newer computer that runs a Servo brand retro-fit on a Bridgeport II mill. Now I can't talk to the controller because Servo's version 4.3 controller software is DOS based and won't work on XP. I can upgrade to their windows driver for over $ 1K (irritating).

Servo tech. support said I should dual boot the computer or upgrade the software. Has anyone run into this problem or have any advice on how I should proceed?

Thank you

Run/Command will pull up the DOS window.

You will need to get a hold of a DOS version of the DNC program.

It might be worth it to go down to your local

computer scavenger and buy an old 386/486 to use for DNC'in.

Then you can just burn your programs on a CD-ROM and transfer them over to the other PC without having to network them.

Murlin

[ 01-27-2004, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Is there something I still might be missing? I hooked up the old box with Win95 to make sure everything (cables, etc.) is working. Worked fine.

I hooked up the new system and switched all the files from XP to win95 compatibility as suggested(any other check boxes that need to be selected?). I also sent data to serial port 1 & 2 to be sure I got the right port. The computer still doesn’t see the controller.

One trick I found that works is to make sure the FIFO buffers are turned off for the serial port. Your older WIN95 system probably had an older style UART chip for the serial port that did not use FIFO (first in first out) buffers. To turn it off, go to SYSTEM, PROPERTIES, DEVICE MANAGER, PORTS, SETTINGS (should see baud, parity, handshake...), and ADVANCED. Uncheck the FIFO Buffer checkbox. Hope this helps.

quote:

Servo's version 4.3 controller software is DOS based and won't work on XP. I can upgrade to their windows driver for over $ 1K

You can use FREEDOS !

it is Freeware OS optimized for the modern PC ,very mighty ,will allow you to use your dos programs .

Install this little thingie and be happy .

quote:

Today, FreeDOS is ideal for anyone who wants to bundle a version of DOS without having to pay a royalty for use of DOS. FreeDOS will also work on old hardware, in DOS emulators, and in embedded systems. FreeDOS is also an invaluable resource for people who would like to develop their own operating system. While there are many free operating systems out there, no other free DOS-compatible operating system exists.

DOS will be around for quite some time yet. DOS remains a great environment to work in if you are building an embedded system, for example. The operating system is light, so it will run well in a device that doesn't have a lot of memory. You can burn it into ROM, boot from a floppy, or a small micro-drive. There aren't many operating systems that you can find these days that will boot from a floppy, yet still leave you enough room on the disk for your embedded program and maybe some room for data files.

FREEDOS

Iskander teh fdisk from Freedos rocks ,far superior to the Microsoft fdisk ,but Linux fdisk

still better !

OK now I'm really confused...(as always)

What is the use of having a new computer running XP, if you are going to have to boot from a floppy and use it to DNC to a machine?

I'll bet you can find a 286/386/486 for FREE to use for this and still have your good PC for using Mastercam.

Murlin

Thanks for all the good tips and suggestions. Here is where I am so far. No settings work to configure the serial port and the compatibility setting don't work either. Since it is a PC based controller you are not really DNCing to the machine. After talking to Servo tech. support some more I realize that I need to give up and install a DOS program. The software does not use the serial port in a conventional fashion. They use proprietary code that reconfigures the serial port to their specs.,hence why my changes have no effect.

Since I'm cramped for space I would like to have it reside on the newer computer.

I think I need to proceed with the FREEDOS idea. Since the computer is already up and running with XP what is the easist way to proceed? I'm not much of a computer geek, so do you know of a link that might have a step by step outline to do this?

Thanks again...Steve

quote:

Since it is a PC based controller you are not really DNCing to the machine.

Ahh you have a control emulator that runs in DOS.

Well it might not be exacxtly DNCing, but it will be the same thing as far as Mastercam is concerned when it comes to being able to use the control emulator and XP at the same time.

You will have to wipe your HDD and install DOS, then install Win 95.

Then install XP with the dual boot.

When you are running your control emulator, I think you will be able to run Win 95, but not XP since you cant get it to run in compatibility mode.

Someone corect me if this is not the case.

Murlin

Hi Stephen !

I can do it in many ways but I need additional info .

How many logical disks do you have

what sizes ?

How many phisical disks ?

What file systems?

Are you ready to delete one partition or to kill windows XP and install it once more afterwards ?

What type is your mouse (usb mouse not recommended ,PS/2 and com types are good ).

How much space on the disk you`ll need (I think

2GB is enough)

I will reply after your answer with specific to your case recomendations

PS No need to install Win95 .

In many cases no need to kill Windows XP.

Hello Iskander,

I'm not much of a computer hardware guy, what do you mean by logical / physical disks??

The XP system is NTFS on 40G hard drive. Just one hard drive on a desktop(basic computer). The mouse is not USB. It has a small round plug-in connector. I would like to install it the best way. If thats means reformatting the HD or adding to the existing setup that is OK.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks...Steve

[ 01-30-2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Stephen ]

Stephen !

FYI :

Phisical disk are disks existing in your comp .,

while logiacl disks are the spaces of phisical disk,reserved for computer to be seen as separate disks (this is called partition ).

The need for partition :

1.Some file systems are of limitied size and due to their specific loose their effectivness if they are too big .

This is first of all FAT file system ,especially FAT16.

2.Partitioning sometimes is the only way if you want to have a couple of OSes in one PC-Windowze,

Linux,OS/2and BEOS together ,for example .

3.Partitioning recommended in general as good practice :

You partition your disk at least in two parts for one OS- System and Data ,thus if you`ll need to reformat your system you can keep your data intact.

BTW if you have one partition ,your disk is partitioned to one partition.

This is a record in PARTITION table,the main

jigger of any disk ,without which the disk can not work

The simplest way 4 U to know approximatly what is yor partitioning is to open my computer .

If U `ll see only one hard disk c it means that you have only one phisical/logical disk and I `ll proceed further with killing XP and so on .

If You `ll see more then one tell me their properties right click properties their size and file systems and on what phisical disk they reside (click on hardware ).

If you say you have only one hard disk it means you have only one phisical disk

But if you have more then one logical disk you can kill only one not system partition and put dos there .

There is one more nice and very simple way :

You put one more disk on your PC .

As you know ,you can put up to 4 IDE devices (hard disks ,dvd/cdrom/reader/writers)

So you can have a possibility to put one more hard disk.It can be small enough (I think you`ll have enough space 4 U in any one you`ll get starting from 300MB )

You can install DOs OR freedos there easily and

you`ll put additional note to boot.ini file and you`ll have dual boot and XP intact .

So in two words here we are :

You say U have only 1 logical disk (IOW in my computer only one hard disk seen ) i tell you easy way of XP killing ,your disk repartitioning ,formating ,dos/freedos installing and XP installing

You say U have more then one partition I tell you how to kill nonsystem partition ,repartition to partition of smaller size ,reformating ,dos/freedos installing and making a multiboot changes in boot.ini

U say U can get one more disk we`ll not kill anything ,IMHO the best way ,I tell you about disk mounting ,Bios changes making,dos/freedos installing if it has no dos in it ,and making multiboot changes in boot manager through boot.ini file .

You select UR scenario ,we`ll proceed .

If U think that U can get help closer ,someone can do 4 u smthng ,or U don`t need explanation about some stage of a plan ,just tell me ,and we `ll bypass it

Iskander teh hack Ur own PC

Iskander,

I just have a "C" drive directory. It sounds like a good idea to put an extra HD in the system(I have an extra one). I am familiar with that process. I will need to set the jumper on the new HD to slave and leave the original alone, correct? With this setup, while in XP mode will I be able to "see" the other HD on the directory and cut and paste NC files to it? That way when I reboot it will be ready to go.

Steve

The reason I was telling him to use WIN95, at least he could also use his computer while he was running the emulator.

quote:

I will need to set the jumper on the new HD to slave and leave the original alone, correct?

You can, or if it is a new HHD they added a new jumper called cable select smile.gif

quote:

while in XP mode will I be able to "see" the other HD on the directory and cut and paste NC files to it?

yep

But while you are running the emulator you will not be able to use your computer for anything else.

So when your program does not work, or you forget to do something, or its doing something funny and you want to backplot the file, you will be rebooting back to XP, making another program, rebooting back to DOS.....ect ect.

This will get old very fast.

If you are cramped for space, you can use the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse and just get another old FREE brain and just use a switch.

You could ehternet them together and you would be set.

Murlin

Stephen!

Yep !

bUT You also can put your second disk on the secondary IDE as secondary master,will work faster (ergo on second cable ) ,the jumpering position as master if you have such a possibility .

I see you understand what jumpering and the proc cess in general is it is an easy task 4 U.

Exists at least one program NTFS4dos os smthn like this (make a search in net ,U`ll find it ),in demo mode U`ll have a possibility to read from NTFS (the pro version will give U an option to write To NTFS ).

In XP you`ll be able to write and read to dos disk ,in dos through NTFS4DOS at least to read .

I reply on what you asking about ,while I partly with Murlin .

An old 386,486,pentium S100,PII200 or smthn similar costs nothing ,you put on it plain dos or win95 if ur emmulator will run under it ,make network connection,or even connect your 2 comps through com cable and use hyperterminal

quote:

Using HyperTerminal

HyperTerminal lets you connect to other computers, Internet telnet sites, bulletin board services, online services, and host computers, using either your modem or a null modem cable.

or transferwith floppy disk ,set a data switch to change from comp to comp keyboard ,mouse and display and be happy.

That`s how I work .

My work place has 2 comps (PII-440 and PIV-2400 )

one keyboard ,mouse and display .

I use an old comp with Win98 for specific tasks my win2000pro will never be able to run and also as a backup place for my data (the comps have network connection )

C U soon !

Murlin,

I see where you are coming from. Two computers hooked up would would cut down on the frustration factor. Would Radio Shack have the switch that you're talking about? I don't think I have ever seen one of these items.

Can MC-9 run on windows 95? When I installed it on the old box it would crash immediately upon opening it up.

Steve