Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

which drill better

Good morning All ,

I would like to know your opinion 

I have to drill  A36 steel 2 inch deep holes  .Some  hole is 1.125 dia  and  .687 .I want set up this job on VF 4 (**coolant thru**).

Which drill would be better  ,the indexable style or tip drils??

thanks for any suggestions.

1 minute ago, master80 said:

Thanks 

I think I chose Sumitomo SMDT   tip  drill .Cheaper than ingersol :D .I have 200 holes for drilling 

thanks one more time 

I think we're close to 36,000 holes now.......   

FWIW, I've had great luck Kennametal KSEM, but not the cheapest out there. They are however good at taking punishment when an operator forgets to change out inserts...

Sumitomo are a reasonably effective cheap alternative.

If you need something that really rip through mild steel in a hurry, sandvik makes some really nice replaceable tip drills, I believe they were corodrill 870s. I think I've fed those as fast as 45ipm in A36. No chatter or squealing, just the sound of chips splattering on the housing, and come out pretty accurate given how fast they were feeding. Not at all cheap though.

38 minutes ago, Ewood42 said:

FWIW, I've had great luck Kennametal KSEM, but not the cheapest out there. They are however good at taking punishment when an operator forgets to change out inserts...

Sumitomo are a reasonably effective cheap alternative.

If you need something that really rip through mild steel in a hurry, sandvik makes some really nice replaceable tip drills, I believe they were corodrill 870s. I think I've fed those as fast as 45ipm in A36. No chatter or squealing, just the sound of chips splattering on the housing, and come out pretty accurate given how fast they were feeding. Not at all cheap though.

you think  I can speed 45 ipm on haas VF4  ???

6 minutes ago, master80 said:

you think  I can speed 45 ipm on haas VF4  ???

Might be able to get close. When I got to test them (management got a bit of sticker shock at the price) I ran them on one of the oldest, most beat up machines in our shop. An old komo that still had a tape reader installed. Might not be able to go quite that fast, but it's one of the few tools I've tested where the recommended numbers out of the book actually worked without wearing down the insert after 10 holes.

Guess it depends on the how old and beat up the machine is. I've made some pretty aggressive cuts with a VF4 before, but it was fairly new.

37 minutes ago, Ewood42 said:

Might be able to get close. When I got to test them (management got a bit of sticker shock at the price) I ran them on one of the oldest, most beat up machines in our shop. An old komo that still had a tape reader installed. Might not be able to go quite that fast, but it's one of the few tools I've tested where the recommended numbers out of the book actually worked without wearing down the insert after 10 holes.

Guess it depends on the how old and beat up the machine is. I've made some pretty aggressive cuts with a VF4 before, but it was fairly new.

Thanks