Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS M19 Spindle Moves

Hi all, been lurking for a few, this is my first post so go easy on my. I have a Haas VF3 that when I put it in M19 to lock the spindle and put an indicator on the machine I can see the indicator moving about 7 or 8 tenths of an inch. It kind of cycles every 2 or 3 seconds. When I turn off the brake it doesn't do that. 

Is this going to affect broaching a critical feature? TYIA.

Broaching on a Haas without the broaching feature....that's only a magnetic lock holding the spindle if you only have M19

Small corners it "might" be ok...something more substantial, I wouldn't try it

copied from another forum

Depends on if you have spindle orientation, which is an option. If you're not sure, type M19 P2. in MDI and see what happens. If you have a Renishaw probe, you will have spindle orient for sure.

Also, the shot pin thing, I believe, is year dependent. My '07 doesn't have a pin at all, it just uses the motor / encoder to keep the spindle at the commanded position. If you're looking for a super accurate toolpath, it may not do it because as it's holding position, it kind of vibrates like the resolution on the spindle encoder is real coarse.

also

Drifton Precision Machining in Pennsylvania:
We were having trouble indicating the keyway broach square in our Haas Minimill. Here’s the solution:
When orientating the spindle to square up the broach we use an M19 code. We needed to move the position to indicate the broach square. When you use a whole degree you can do M19 PXXX when you need to go less than a whole degree you use an R example M19 R45.05 If you don’t use the R code the spindle will quiver and make indicating difficult. When we got this figured out we had very good success. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, htm01 said:

We were having trouble indicating the keyway broach square in our Haas Minimill. Here’s the solution:
When orientating the spindle to square up the broach we use an M19 code. We needed to move the position to indicate the broach square. When you use a whole degree you can do M19 PXXX when you need to go less than a whole degree you use an R example M19 R45.05 If you don’t use the R code the spindle will quiver and make indicating difficult. When we got this figured out we had very good success. 

Wow! That's incredible. Thanks for sharing. Will make life much easier going forward.