Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 Wire, Cutting Tab After Tapered Rough Pass

btu44

Hello,

I am just getting my feet wet learning Wire EDM in a tool and die shop. The owner wants me to learn to program and run our old Sodick A500 EDM but the current operator is going to be minimal help.

So if I may ask a question here I would appreciate the help.

Here is my first project of a small block of D2 I will be cutting this slot cut  into it. It will have a 2 degree clearance taper and .2" land.

I'm trying to remove the tab rem from the tapered area of the slot.

59308ae85dcc9_MCX9WireExample(1).thumb.jpg.5ed2124ba644ad96f3263eb98999a00e.jpg

The machining sequence I invision:

Rough pass with a 2 degree taper.

Stop at glue tab.

Support slug

Cut tab with 2 degree taper.

Stop and remove slug.

Continue with skim cut to machine the .2" land.

Does this sound like a proper technique? Should try with a second tool path?

Here are screen shots of the setting I used.

593093aab8b78_MCX9WireExample2.jpg.e51ae7f6d89d9b34e5c3749bea1dd585.jpg

593093ab4faa6_MCX9WireExample3.jpg.910746f710877cbefe32bf2f5c7934c7.jpg

593093abbbdff_MCX9WireExample4.jpg.ae6e7fa888931577adc858a1f61b294a.jpg

593093ac553e7_MCX9WireExample5.jpg.51d95770696beb8dcff5f6943fbccb28.jpg

Thank you

4 minutes ago, btu44 said:

Hmm, I guess that is an option of last resort. I prefer not to do post edits because of forgetting during a repost after program change.

Is there any other way in Mastercam?

Del's suggestion isn't a post edit......it's how to setup your operation...

Get a hold of your reseller Monday, you're trying to do things with no training or guidance at all....you are doing yourself a disservice.

Been over 25 years since I programmed an EDM, but I always roughed leaving finish stock the area my slug was coming out of. I then cut to my tab stopped and backed off. Supported my slug, cut the tab loose then stopped again and then removed the slug. I then took a complete finish pass on the section the slug came out of. I cannot image you would get the best results doing it the way where you have finished everything but the slug and then will finish that area where the slug was after. Maybe things have changed that much in the last 25 years, but from a machining stand point if I were going to wire something I would still do it that way it makes logical sense to me. 

17 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Been over 25 years since I programmed an EDM, but I always roughed leaving finish stock the area my slug was coming out of. I then cut to my tab stopped and backed off. Supported my slug, cut the tab loose then stopped again and then removed the slug. I then took a complete finish pass on the section the slug came out of. I cannot image you would get the best results doing it the way where you have finished everything but the slug and then will finish that area where the slug was after. Maybe things have changed that much in the last 25 years, but from a machining stand point if I were going to wife something I would still do it that way it makes logical sense to me. 

This sounds like what I am attempting to do and thank you for replying.

Rough the taper, stop, support the slug, cut the slug with taper, stop and remove the slug, finish the land area. The SODICK training manual we have says this is good practice because I would only be finishing .200" deep of material instead of the full 1.5". 

When I look at the "Total cuts for each chain" window I think the sequence should go: Rough, Tab cut with stop, Skim. Does this sound correct?

As for my Reseller I don't know if this is an option. We have a maintenance agreement for 2017 Mill but not Wire. Plus over the years with mill, I have found searching this site or YouTube is faster than waiting for a call back that half the time didn't come.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Del. said:

I would just break the line at .100 at tab and manually put a stop there before and after it cuts off to remove slug and then do my landpasses.

Del. would you please explain a little more? Did I misunderstand you?

1 hour ago, btu44 said:

This sounds like what I am attempting to do and thank you for replying.

Rough the taper, stop, support the slug, cut the slug with taper, stop and remove the slug, finish the land area. The SODICK training manual we have says this is good practice because I would only be finishing .200" deep of material instead of the full 1.5". 

When I look at the "Total cuts for each chain" window I think the sequence should go: Rough, Tab cut with stop, Skim. Does this sound correct?

As for my Reseller I don't know if this is an option. We have a maintenance agreement for 2017 Mill but not Wire. Plus over the years with mill, I have found searching this site or YouTube is faster than waiting for a call back that half the time didn't come.

Del. would you please explain a little more? Did I misunderstand you?

If you break the line a set distance from where it cuts off that point will be in your peg when you post it. Manually insert a M00 after that line in prg and again at line right before your G40.