Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mega-City

Müřlıń®

Anyone watch the History channel about the mega city?

There is a building being engineered that is going to be over 3/4 of a mile high. A city in the sky. Welcome to Buck Rogers in the 21st Century everyone.

It will be a mega city holding 300k people.

They are using the information they are learning from the building in Tiawan. For those of you that dont know, this building under construction right now is the tallest building ever to be constructed.

Right now China is importing every scrap of steel they can get their hands on.

I wonder if thet steel is going to be used on those buildings.

The price of steel goes up every day. If you go down to the steel yard and buy some materials for a metal building, the price will be diffrent from week to week.

Right now scrap iron is a penny a pound.

I look for the price to increase to as much as a nickel per pound in the future.

This will affect us all.

Murlin

Has anyone noticed the price of stainless steel is very volatile right now? As of the past few weeks, my stainless vendors will honor their quotes for less than two weeks. Beyond the two-week window, the price will need to be renegotiated.

Has anyone heard a reason why the price is so unstable?

quote:

Has anyone heard a reason why the price is so unstable?

There is a shortage. I'm tellin yas, China is sucking it up like a vacuum. A guy told me this morning that he sold some scrap Iron for $80 a ton.

That means I was wrong and scrap is already #.04 at some scrappers. Man that is scary stuff eek.gif

This guy told me there is no 3"/4" thick plate left in the country. Don't know how true that statement is.

But it is a fact, the price of steel is going up.

Murlin teh things heatin' up firebounce.gif

The price on reclaimed steel is absolutly dependant on the actual owners of the scrap metal businesses; In Canada, during the past year, many smaller companies have been purchased by the big boys from the USA; this information comes from the mouth of my scrap dealer.(A small independant that knows this business).

Copper has been the most fluctuating material in the past.

Brass to me gains between .50 and .65 per pound and has consistantly for the last 10 years.

The best I ever got from stainless is about .25/pound; but then again I dont put that much out per year: Most of it is sold as a quality part biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Just thought that I would toss that in. smile.gif

I personally do not believe the China thing has any real effect on the American/Canadian scrap metal business. - I have been wrong before. eek.gif

But seriously, if I am not happy with the going price then I will sit on the brass cuttings for a year or so - the scrap dealer gets a little hungry for the material after a while and usually comes around for a better price. (I can't hep but wonder how much he is getting for this stuff).

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

I personally do not believe the China thing has any real effect on the American/Canadian scrap metal business.

You could be right about China affecting the scrap metal buisness directly, but indirectly...well we'll see.

My dad went to purchase some steel for a metal building my uncle is building and this steel company told him about China importing massive amounts of steel.

When dad asked for a quote on the metal for the building, the supplier said it has been steadily going up every week or so and he could only quote a price for this week only.

I guess no one knows anything about these huge Asian buildings under construction. I watched them set a beam on the one in Taiwan, freaking humongous. This building alone, will require several times the amount of steel of both of the World Trade Center buildings combined. The other one, in Tokoyo I think, is still in the planning stages, will take 10 times or more steel than the one in Taiwan.

All that steel has to come from somewhere....

Murlin

Speaking of steel; Stelco in Hamilton is now in bankruptcy protection - this is one of the largest in Canada with a huge amount of jobs on the line; they claim that they can no longer compete against US steel which sort of causes me to think that this market is being contolled or driven by the many factors that I cannot understand.

Murlin,

No disrepect meant by my thoughts - but at 3cents a pound, locally, I can't see the benefit of loading up a ship that would cost considerably more to transport.

This does not consider the salt water damage from the long journey - imagine receiving tons & tons rusted so thoroughly that the boat and the steel are simply loaded into the furnace as scrap. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Sorry guys, once again the communication process is broken down.....

I meant for this thread to be about the Mega City, not the price of scrap Iron.

I can see how everyone thought I was talking about China buying "scrap metal" when I said that "China is buying up every scrap of steel they can get theitr hands on"

My comment at the end of my first post was just me being happy about the fact that scrap Iron was going up. One had nothing to do with the other.

I shouldn't have worded it that way.

I have about 30 ton of old used machinery that no one wants and if scrap iron keeps going up, then they will be worth a little more if I scrap them out.

Used machinery is like used computer parts, you cant hardly give it away because it costs so much to move it.

Any ways.....Since no one is interested in the Mega City I will just let this post go down in flames and get smelted in along with all that scrap Iron.....sorry for being unclear....it must be my ADD......gets me sidetracked sometimes rolleyes.gif

Murlin teh Master of Mis-Comunication.....

I watched the the show on mega city. I thought it was neat, so was the one on the floating city.(One big ol barge that would have 100,000 citizens living on it floating from port to port.)

I think the concept is neat, but would never want to live in something like that. I do think that that will be a trend, only it wont be just steel. They are starting to mix steel aluminum and some thing else to create a super metal that with stands stress and heat better.(It will prolly machine like a teard.)

The danger of self containede citys is that you end up with a cult like society with different views than the one next to it and you end up with conflict. There was a Dr. Seuss book about this that I think we could learn from.

The hijack was interesting(and scary) and kinda graps your attention.